Humane Euthanasia??

Lindsinic

Over the past weeks I have been on here trying to get as much advice as possible to try and help our Golden Greek pull through what seems to be Hatchling Failure Syndrome. As a Mom, I am at the point where I question whether it is harder for my 9-year old son to be watching his tortoise "suffer" and get worse daily. Yet, Rocky keeps holding on. But is it to the point when I should consider humane euthanasia?

The difficult part is that he does not show ALL signs. His eyes are not swollen and he has not completely stopped eating. Although I do not think he's eating much at all. His shell is getting so squishy that I feel uncomfortable even picking him up. Yet he seems to be getting fat. Almost as if his plastron is going to burst open :-(

His plastron looks even darker and almost "wet" underneath in spots. Is this bleeding?

We have one exotic vet in this area and although she is very well respected, I believe she gave me incorrect information at his first visit. She did not stress the importance of humidity as all of you on here have. So I think Rocky lived in less than perfect conditions for a couple of weeks and that did not help a possible bad situation that he came from at Backwater Reptiles :'(

Is there any way to end Rocky's suffering in a humane way at home? Would appreciate your candid thoughts and opinions.

@Tom @Markw84 @Yvonne G

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    964 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    923.8 KB · Views: 48

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A vet visit for euthanasia is a must. Anything else would be cruel and abusive.
However, I don't agree that it should be done because your child can't handle it. If there is no hope for the tortoise and it is suffering, that's the only reason it's life should be taken and that should probably be left up to you and the vet discussing what has been done and if any more can be done. Eating is never a bad sign.

Kasia

Poland
However, I don't agree that it should be done because your child can't handle it. If there is no hope for the tortoise and it is suffering, that's the only reason it's life should be taken and that should probably be left up to you and the vet discussing what has been done and if any more can be done. Eating is never a bad sign.
I agree in 120%. Take him to a Vet appointment to update and talk about his options. Maybe he still has some...

Lindsinic

You have misunderstood what I was trying to express. My concern is that Rocky is suffering. I would never condone euthanasia because it is difficult to see a pet sick. That is not what I was saying. However, I think it may be beyond that at this point. I absolutely condone euthanasia to end a pet's irreversible and compounding suffering and physical pain.

For weeks we have done everything suggested on here with the help of @Tom and @Markw84 but Rocky's shell is considerably softer and the "bleeding" look under his plastron is worse. There's even a newer spot that looks pink (active bleeding?)

When I cannot give Rocky a shallow soak because he lays his head flat on the bottom of the dish (nostrils underwater) that seems to be a bad sign. I don't want him to drown. If I go any more shallow he wouldn't be able to even drink.

Kasia

Poland
I do understand your feelings, for couple of weeks I have seen my Russian letargic and I was thinking on whether it's time to let him go so he won't have to suffer. But still that's a thing to go through with a Vet. If he has septicemia and there is nothing you can do Vet will tell you it's time. Set up an appointment.

Lindsinic

It is too late I went to check on him and he has passed away. Bit of foam by his mouth.

I knew by the failed attempt at a warm soak today that he was bad.

Rt1jen

It is too late I went to check on him and he has passed away. Bit of foam by his mouth.

I'm sorry:( .......atleast he isn't suffering or being tormented. Please reach out if you want/need to.

Kasia

Poland

I am sorry for your little guy. It's good that he didn't suffer long.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Terribly sorry to know that.

My condolences.

Newark, DE

Oh I am so sorry. It's so awful that you and your son had to go thru this. You gave him every possible chance and it is obvious how much you loved him and how hard you tried. I've followed along reading your posts and anyone can see you did everything you could possibly have done. Again - I'm so sorry for you and your family.

Rt1jen

Yes every possible chance. After reading thru the replies it makes me realize how truly wonderful, kind and caring people are!!!!!

Jbrez

Minnesota
Sorry for your loss. I hope you and your son know that you did everything you could.

Bee62

Germany
I am so sorry for your loss.
Your little baby tort was too sick from the beginning on.
His dead was not your fault. You had done everything for him, but it was too late.
It is very sad that you and your son make this bad experience.
So sorry ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have misunderstood what I was trying to express. My concern is that Rocky is suffering. I would never condone euthanasia because it is difficult to see a pet sick. That is not what I was saying. However, I think it may be beyond that at this point. I absolutely condone euthanasia to end a pet's irreversible and compounding suffering and physical pain.

For weeks we have done everything suggested on here with the help of @Tom and @Markw84 but Rocky's shell is considerably softer and the "bleeding" look under his plastron is worse. There's even a newer spot that looks pink (active bleeding?)

When I cannot give Rocky a shallow soak because he lays his head flat on the bottom of the dish (nostrils underwater) that seems to be a bad sign. I don't want him to drown. If I go any more shallow he wouldn't be able to even drink.
I think I did understand what you were saying. I didn't mean to imply that the child watching was your only concern of reason. Sorry if it came off that way.
Very sorry for your loss. It does sound like you tried everything possible. Unfortunately they are usually sick for a while before we can even notice anything out of the ordinary.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You were an amazing tortoise owner. It's a shame that more people can't take care of and treat animals as well as you have. It's terrible that the tortoise you got didn't make it. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Rt1jen

You were an amazing tortoise owner. It's a shame that more people can't take care of and treat animals as well as you have. It's terrible that the tortoise you got didn't make it. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Hi TechnoCheese:)