Hugo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think we need some updated pics of your progress and the birds. I know your very busy, but when you can, please;)
Head pic of Hugo would be nice too.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think we need some updated pics of your progress and the birds. I know your very busy, but when you can, please;)
Head pic of Hugo would be nice too.
Beyond busy indeed. He likes to eat bugs that fly into the water. I caught him eating roaches one night. For sure strictly nocturnal.
IMG_6801.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Mutt and Jeff are a couple new birds. Canary winged parakeets from South America. Or they call them BB parrots. Smallest parrot species. They are hilarious. IMG_6195.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Some new ponds operational for South American and Central American turtlesIMG_7223.JPG IMG_7224.JPG

Our harvest pond for aquatic veggie eaters.
IMG_7032.JPG

Slow but steadily getting this building facade complete on the exterior.
IMG_7038.JPG IMG_7047.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
A couple huge greenhouses have also been put up. Don't have pics of them. One is for desert dwellers and the other is for Asian species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking great Kelly, thank you. Besides the tortoise, Turtles, caiman and birds do you plan on getting other types of animals too.
Great pic of Hugo.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looking great Kelly, thank you. Besides the tortoise, Turtles, caiman and birds do you plan on getting other types of animals too.
Great pic of Hugo.
Yes indeed. Going to venture back into some mammals. But this go around stick with herbivores. When I had foxes they were too much to handle. Although it was similar car to a dog or cat, they were too much. Sloths will be first, and possibly a monkey rescue will get established. We're working with texas parks and USFW at border points and they have huge issues with monkeys, and parrots getting smuggled in. So figured we could be a final point of living for those creatures. Absolutely no breeding though. Those will be sanctuary only.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm going to talk to my job tomorrow . If I get Friday off I'll head your way . I'll bring my tools . What are we doing framing?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Your so awesome man. But I know you love it down there too. Yep framing walls putting windows in a greenhouse then covering the hoop house with plastic. Beer and food is always on me as usual and fuel of course for your drive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mutt and Jeff are a couple new birds. Canary winged parakeets from South America. Or they call them BB parrots. Smallest parrot species. They are hilarious. View attachment 220154
Actually, I think the smallest parrot is a parrotlet. Your new Brotogeris chiriri is next smallest. They also used to be called pocket parrots. I used to raise Brotogeris jugularis. I was the first breeder on the west coast to successfully hatch and raise babies. It's a wonderful little bird, and a great pet. Are yours tame?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Actually, I think the smallest parrot is a parrotlet. Your new Brotogeris chiriri is next smallest. They also used to be called pocket parrots. I used to raise Brotogeris jugularis. I was the first breeder on the west coast to successfully hatch and raise babies. It's a wonderful little bird, and a great pet. Are yours tame?
Most excellent! They are definitely not tame. Super cool little guys. I can't imagine any smaller. These guys are pretty tiny.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Back in the '50s and '60s the natives would rob the nests and keep the Brotogeris babies in their shirt pockets. the most common were the Grey-cheeked parakeet, Brotogeris pyrrhoptera. The natives would chew up food and feed the babies from their mouths. Then when they were eating on their own, they got shipped to the U.S. We had so much trouble getting them to raise babies because none of them were raised by their parent birds. You think they're cool as wild birds, you should see tame ones. Far as I'm concerned, best pet bird on the planet!