Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've talked about this with several people lately. 32" seems to be a magic number that they can't go over. I've seen lots of 32" males. I can think of half a dozen of them within short driving distance from my place. But in all my years, I have NEVER seen a single one over 32". I heard unsubstantiated rumors of 36"ers, but never seen one or seen a pic of one with a tape measure.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I was just thinking about that as well Tom. I've seen pictures and heard of sulcatas that size but none bigger. What is the heaviest you have seen/heard of?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jeffbens0n said:
I was just thinking about that as well Tom. I've seen pictures and heard of sulcatas that size but none bigger. What is the heaviest you have seen/heard of?

I've heard of 200-300 pounders. I've heard of 36 inchers, but NEVER seen one or any evidence of one. I would love it if someone could show us some of these giants. I know Mick at the ATC has that really big male named Perseus. How long is he Mick? There is a really big w/c female near me up in Palmdale, but I don't think she's more than 32" from the pics I've seen.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I know someone that has one over 200 pounds. I see if he will send me a picture and measurements, not sure if he is over 32" or not? The one above is a very nice large male for sure.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
now that is one hugely nice tort. How old do you think he is? :)
Deanna

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
there are some really big ones at busch gardens in Fl, anyone know anything about them? I was there in may and took some pics, I was surprised at their mass, no measurements though.....went back in december and it was to cold to see them again... bummer

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NEtorts said:
there are some really big ones at busch gardens in Fl, anyone know anything about them? I was there in may and took some pics, I was surprised at their mass, no measurements though.....went back in december and it was to cold to see them again... bummer

I'll bet they were 32". Not 31". Not 33". Just 32".

Its really odd, but so prevalent.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tom,
We are in the middle of building a new enclosure for Perseus and the gang. When we transport him over (this weekend), we will be stopping at the vet's for a checkup and measurements. If memory serves me correctly, he was 33" last summer. I can't seem to find those pics though. Here's one I found of him on imageshack:

Of course I will get you some "verifiable" information this weekend:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Check this adult male...The website claims he is 200 lbs and 3 feet in length. Scroll all the way to bottom of the page. Thumper
http://tortugavilla.com/Sulcata.html

He certainly looks big in the pic, but... lets see a tape measure.

Az tortoise compound said:
Tom,
We are in the middle of building a new enclosure for Perseus and the gang. When we transport him over (this weekend), we will be stopping at the vet's for a checkup and measurements. If memory serves me correctly, he was 33" last summer. I can't seem to find those pics though. Here's one I found of him on imageshack:

Mick, that would make him the first to break that 32" barrier that I have seen. I've seen dozens of 32 inchers. Never seen one over that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Perseus is indeed a very regal-looking tortoise. Very impressive!

Thumper is pretty darned impressive too. Just look at those legs!!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Aww...that gives Tex something to aspire to. I can't wait to see what he looks like when he's 30. Don't get me wrong...I'm certainly not going for any records and don't overfeed him. But lately it seems like the other Sulcatas I've read about that were the same age were drastically smaller. Only time will tell.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Check this adult male...The website claims he is 200 lbs and 3 feet in length. Scroll all the way to bottom of the page. Thumper
http://tortugavilla.com/Sulcata.html
:tort: Thumper is outstanding.

Az tortoise compound said:
Tom,

:tort: Gosh, he looks great.

AdamR

5 Year Member
Oh wow! See that is why I went with a Sulcata, what amazing creatures!! But I do wonder, how do you convince a "Thumper" to come home? Food, ladies, forklift??

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ALDABRAMAN said:
I know someone that has one over 200 pounds. I see if he will send me a picture and measurements, not sure if he is over 32" or not? The one above is a very nice large male for sure.

OK, I called my friend his is over the 200 pound mark and is just over 34". I tried to ask for a picture and he was relunctant. I have seen him, he is way big, very wide.
Sorry Tom, I was hoping he would send me a picture to post.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I wish I had put a tape meausre on Big Mama...Linda's WC female up here in Lancaster! She is larger than Diesel...and he measured 29" and weighed over 125 pounds...and when I say larger she is at least 25 pounds heavier and a half foot longer...although Linda and her folks claim that she weighed in at 189 pounds two years ago! Possibly, Cory could measure her next time he goes up. As for Thumper...Paul no longer owns him...but I had seen his mate in that bottom picture...I put her between 90 and 95 pounds...Paul told me that Thumper lifted his wrought iron gate off the hinges and toured the neighborhood a couple years back. It took them 2 hours to wrangel him home...he could not be lifted by two people!

Status
Not open for further replies.