HR 669 ‘‘Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act’’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
I just heard about this, and I'm really confused.

Here's a link to the actual bill:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf

A synopsis in case you haven't heard about it: it says that species that are "likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal species’ or human health" would be banned. Meaning, it would be a crime to import them into the US, transport between state lines, posses, sell, purchase, breed, or release.

Here's an interesting article showing a bit of both sides of the issue:
http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=294

The bill supposedly states that there would be a grandfather clause for exotic pets you have now, but there is some doubt about how that would play out in reality:
"Current pets will absolutely be affected and HR 669 obviously isn’t about domesticated animals. HR 669 IS about the 17 million households that could be affected if they can’t prove that they owned their bird, fish, lizard, hamster, or snake before a certain period in time."

I have no idea where this bill is now. Does anyone else?

Also, I'm confused as to weather I should be against this or not. I do think there should be more regulation on species that are dangerous/difficult to care for- I'm so sick of seeing 12 year old boys on youtube with every type of endangered species available rotting in their garage.
And I know that many common exotic pets have done a lot of damage to existing eco-systems- like red-eared sliders, for example, all because of irresponsible owners.
But this bill doesn't seem like increased regulation, it seems like out-right banning, which is stupid.

It also seems like un-fair persecution of exotic pet owners. Animals like dogs and especially cats do a lot of damage to native species too, but no one would dream of banning those in the US.

What does everyone else think?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Don't you just love vauge bills that mention a possible or potential threat that may or may not cause harm to something? RES are native to the US just not certain parts of it so I don't think it would cause a concern there. I am personally against most legeslation based on principle, this just seems to my view as a way for the "nanny" state to impose more of their viewpoints on others. And how would one go about proving they had a certain animal before a certain point? I do not need more goverment control in my life, I am frankly sick of it. sorry to be so angry but I have had enough of it by now.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It never made it out of committee, thankfully :D

There is a new bill floating around now trying to ban pythons though. It's S373.

Danny

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
egyptiandan said:
It never made it out of committee, thankfully :D

There is a new bill floating around now trying to ban pythons though. It's S373.

Danny

Oh good! I sort of knew it would never get anywhere, at least not looking like what I read.

S373 sounds almost as ridiculous. Ban the entire python genera? Yeah right!
Both of these laws seem so sloppy- like their written by non-scientists who don't know anything about exotics, and didn't bother to learn.

Thanks Danny- also, do you know of a good source to get non-inflammatory info on these laws?

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I just have 1 thing to say on the issue of a "BAN" on ANYTHING!
No matter what you may think a ban is in fact the worst thing that can be done in most instances. It is without a doubt the "KISS OF DEATH" to wild animal populations!
Banning trade in an animal raises its "BLACK MARKET" value exponentially!
The illegal animal trade has diminished to a point that people make more $$ writing books about, "The way it was", Rather than doing it.
I have read many of the books on the subject & most (not all) of the events are great works of fiction. Not that the events didn't happen, They did! Just not in the way the story said!
How do I know? I was there & I know almost all the people talked about in the books!
Back to the point!
If any animal is going to last in the wild people need to be able to have a LEGAL source!
Today we enjoy very healthy animals in captivity because of captive breeding & a legal animal market!
Unfortunately most people look at things from a materialistic / monetary point of view.
1) They want what they aren't supposed to have!
2) What's it worth!
If people are going to care about something, It must have a value!( In my opinion ALL life on this planet is priceless!) Unfortunately the majority of people won't give a thought to anything that is not commercially viable!

I could go on forever on this but I will spare you all that!

Another thing, Before you comment on this post.
THINK ABOUT IT FIRST!

My vote is to "Ban the Ban"!!! Save the animals!

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
t_mclellan said:
I just have 1 thing to say on the issue of a "BAN" on ANYTHING!
No matter what you may think a ban is in fact the worst thing that can be done in most instances. It is without a doubt the "KISS OF DEATH" to wild animal populations!
Banning trade in an animal raises its "BLACK MARKET" value exponentially!

This is such a good point!

Also reminds me of how when the importation of wild caught parrots was banned, people just started breeding them in captivity, resulting (in general) in better "pet quality" birds, and healthier wild populations.

It's way easier to ban the importation of something than to ban it as a pet. Makes much more sense to me too.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Also the Importation off birds is not completely banned.
If you get the correct permits, You may still import captive bred offspring.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I must admit, somethings do need to be changed and regulation would be beneficial in some senses... But how to do it without crushing the hobby or how to actually follow through I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.