How's my tortoise enclosure and how I take care of it

Albee vw

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello, greetings from Indonesia. I have 7 mintmo old baby sulcata. I'm a newbie here and this few days my tortoise lost his appetite.

How I take care of it? at morning around 8 A.M i usually let him walk and eat under sunlight and I'll soak him with warm water after he's done eating. Then I'll put him back on his crib and he'll sleep. At 12 A.M he'll eat again inside his cage. And at 5 P.M he's awake I'll give him food inside his cage. At night i'll cover some part of his crib with cardboard. He usually eats romaine lettuce, pumpkin once a week, mustard greens, and I use Repcal as his supplements once a week too. And at the corner of the cage, I put cuttle bone for his calsium. The temperature in the cage is 30°C while out around 29°C and humidity from 80% - 90%. I use spaghnum moss and Coco coir for the substrate, and I usually spray it twice a day to keep it humid. I use exoterra intestine basking bulb for day and infrared bulb + Philips 25 watt bulb for night, since night is cold I use two bulb to keep him warm. warm stay with him around 7 months and I never seen him eating his substrate.

Since he got respiratory infection around two weeks ago seems like he also lost his appetite but now he's free from respiratory infection. I don't know why he's appetite didn't come back yet. This kinda stress full for me seeing my baby only eats some bite of mixed veggies. He usually eats a lot before got respiratory infection. At first day he came, he's so fussy and picky at eating but when his age around 5 months he eats like vacuum cleaner that will absorb everything inside. That's sounds good and I'm totally glad that now his appetite's just like normal sulcata. But now the things that I really affraid of happens again. I've visit vet and his vet just give me some vitamin. I thought his appetite would come back after eats those vitamin from his vet but the reallity is his appetite still the same. He usually can eat 10-15 pellets I use Repcal but now he only eat 2-5 pellets. And the problem here is my tortoise didn't like opuntia, hibiscus, and grass. Any tips so he could eats it?

Some have replied on my previous threads and mostly says about the temperature and humidity. My temperature inside cage is 30°Celcius and outside cage is 29°Celcius with humidity of 80% - 90%. Is that the fixed one? and if I need to change my bulb can you tell me which bulb that's good for tortoise?

Thank you

Note: file below is my tortoise enclosure, I use infrared light and Philips 25 watt bulb. I put sphagnum moss inside his house the one with roof. The size of my cage is 60x100x20.

Attachments

• 15447018317881823548775.jpg
    15447018317881823548775.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
There needs to be a lot of changes in your enclosure. Please read the salcata care sheet and make those changes. He is probably not eating because he has no basking area and can not digest his food. You need a basking area of 37 to 38 degrees so he can digest. The red light should go. It should be totally dark at night. Use a che for heat. Read our care sheets and make changes needed.

Albee vw

Indonesia
There needs to be a lot of changes in your enclosure. Please read the salcata care sheet and make those changes. He is probably not eating because he has no basking area and can not digest his food. You need a basking area of 37 to 38 degrees so he can digest. The red light should go. It should be totally dark at night. Use a che for heat. Read our care sheets and make changes needed.

Thank your for the information I've search for CHE bulb but I thought it's too dark so I think I'll just change to exoterra night lamp.