How to winter a tort?

Viola B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Me to! They are so funny!! We just love him like crazy! That's so cool, how big is she?
Merlina is going to be on the big end of a female Russian. She weighs 407 gs. She is sleeping at the moment, but the last time I measured her she was 4 and a half inches. That was in Aug.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
oh wow! I need to ferry a scale for Sheldon, he's growing alright, eats EVERYTHING lol
Don't spend a bunch on one. I always used a little food scale I bought in a thrift store until I found my Hamilton beach one. I bought it to weigh my baby bunny on sale. I'm a cheapskate. I like the food scale because I can set him on top and he can't wiggle or walk his way out of me getting what I need to know. He doesn't even try. He just relaxes. A baby tortoise could be weighed sitting on top of a spool of thread or something similar on my Hamilton beach and it was way less then 30 dollars at a Kitchen Collections store.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Don't spend a bunch on one. I always used a little food scale I bought in a thrift store until I found my Hamilton beach one. I bought it to weigh my baby bunny on sale. I'm a cheapskate. I like the food scale because I can set him on top and he can't wiggle or walk his way out of me getting what I need to know. He doesn't even try. He just relaxes. A baby tortoise could be weighed sitting on top of a spool of thread or something similar on my Hamilton beach and it was way less then 30 dollars at a Kitchen Collections store.
good idea! I have cheap ones, I need to stroll through the thrift store

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Winter is coming so I have been reading about things to feed baby Sheldon. I got a great list of store bought leafy greens from Carol and have surfed the database. I've noticed that most are feed in moderation, cannot be feed at the same time or with a varied diet.. At the moment his majority is spring mix and variations of the dandelion family leaves and flowers. I bought some kale to toss once in awhile. I guess my question is what is considered moderation in this instance? i. e. Kale every other day and mustard greens in between? Will he get bored with the same things? I'm planning a tort garden in the spring and possibly drying food for over the next winter ..? Any ideas on winter "meal plans" lol
I’m in Chapin SC I have an 8 mo omg Sulcata. I’d love to get in touch with you!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I have tortoise hay, bought a huge bag if you want some. Also the tortoise pellets, my Dexter loves them. I bit the bullet and bought a 25 lb bag so I definitely can share some of that.
I didnt know they had stuff like that. That is so nice of you. How far from Greenville is Chapin? I love his name!!