How to use Tortoise forum

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Welcome! I've been meaning to do this for a while, when I came to Tortoise forum, I didn't know how to use the forum in the easiest way possible, I didn't now where everything was or how to use it, so after a few months I would like to share what I have learned for any newbies who struggled like me.

1.)When most people come here, they don't know what species their tort is, any questions about the type of tortoise can be posted here, by the introductions
(In this forum, you can tell us of your general location, country and province so that fellow members can help assist you with general care. Knowing your general location will help us give better care on temperatures to fit your area etc.) Or it can be posted in the general.
(Also important: In your profile you can indicate your general location, if you haven't and want to change it, click on the circle on the left of the envelope, from there you can change it.)

2.)The first question is always how do I care for my tort?
After you have introduced yourself or asked in the general forum, you can go here, after you have know what species your tort is
The list is according the native continent or area of the tort like for instance.
African->
•Sulcata
•Hingeback
•Leopard
Etc.
After you have clicked on the specific species of tort you'll see the stickied thread. (These are threads which contain the best information and are care sheets etc.)
For instance in the Sulcata section
Screenshot_20211123-200129_Samsung Internet.jpg

3.)Interface
In the top right of your screen are these 4 icons
Screenshot_20211123-200859_Samsung Internet.jpg
By clicking on each will do the following
•Envelope: Show recent conversations.
•Bell: Shows if someone has reacted or tagged you in a post
•Lightning bolt: Shows you the latest posts.
•Magnifying glass: When you click on it, you will able to search for anything. (If not found it can be posted in the appropriate subsection)

To tag a user, you simply use the @ symbol, followed by their name, for instance @person. Beneath your @ it will show a list of people with a matching name and profile picture, simply click on the person you want to tag.

To quote something someone has said, you need to hold your finger beside the words you want to quote and drag it to the end of the words you want to quote, next to the highlighted words it should show "Reply" click it and it will quote the words where you can type your own message.

To attach an image, click the paperclip icon with words that say "Attach files" (To my knowlege images can't be posted in conversations)
Screenshot_20211123-203230_Samsung Internet.jpg

To copy a link of a post, hold the title of the post down with your finger and select copy url, paste it in your post and the link should show.

4.)To start a conversation, you need to click on a users profile icon like for instanceScreenshot_20211123-201717_Samsung Internet.jpg
Click on "Start conversation" to conversate.

5.) Admins are:
@Yvonne G
@Josh

Moderators:
@wellington
@jaizei
Etc. (There are a whole bunch more)

6.) General
Caresheets:

PLEASE READ THIS
I didn't find it beforehand and it could have saved me a lot of time

Happy torting!

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
Welcome! I've been meaning to do this for a while, when I came to Tortoise forum, I didn't know how to use the forum in the easiest way possible, I didn't now where everything was or how to use it, so after a few months I would like to share what I have learned for any newbies who struggled like me.

1.)When most people come here, they don't know what species their tort is, any questions about the type of tortoise can be posted here, by the introductions
(In this forum, you can tell us of your general location, country and province so that fellow members can help assist you with general care. Knowing your general location will help us give better care on temperatures to fit your area etc.) Or it can be posted in the general.
(Also important: In your profile you can indicate your general location, if you haven't and want to change it, click on the circle on the left of the envelope, from there you can change it.)

2.)The first question is always how do I care for my tort?
After you have introduced yourself or asked in the general forum, you can go here, after you have know what species your tort is
The list is according the native continent or area of the tort like for instance.
African->
•Sulcata
•Hingeback
•Leopard
Etc.
After you have clicked on the specific species of tort you'll see the stickied thread. (These are threads which contain the best information and are care sheets etc.)
For instance in the Sulcata section
View attachment 336517

3.)Interface
In the top right of your screen are these 4 icons
View attachment 336519
By clicking on each will do the following
•Envelope: Show recent conversations.
•Bell: Shows if someone has reacted or tagged you in a post
•Lightning bolt: Shows you the latest posts.
•Magnifying glass: When you click on it, you will able to search for anything. (If not found it can be posted in the appropriate subsection)

To tag a user, you simply use the @ symbol, followed by their name, for instance @person. Beneath your @ it will show a list of people with a matching name and profile picture, simply click on the person you want to tag.

To quote something someone has said, you need to hold your finger beside the words you want to quote and drag it to the end of the words you want to quote, next to the highlighted words it should show "Reply" click it and it will quote the words where you can type your own message.

To attach an image, click the paperclip icon with words that say "Attach files" (To my knowlege images can't be posted in conversations)
View attachment 336521

To copy a link of a post, hold the title of the post down with your finger and select copy url, paste it in your post and the link should show.

4.)To start a conversation, you need to click on a users profile icon like for instanceView attachment 336520
Click on "Start conversation" to conversate.

5.) Admins are:
@Yvonne G
@Josh

Moderators:
@wellington
@jaizei
Etc. (There are a whole bunch more)

6.) General
Caresheets:

PLEASE READ THIS
I didn't find it beforehand and it could have saved me a lot of time

Happy torting!
Wow, a lot of work there. Great job!!

I would add in there somewhere: Do you have an emergency? If so, contact one of our moderators by pm or whatever moderators decide.

An emergency can be: (examples)

An emergency is not: your tort's sex or age, ....