How to travel with a tortoise

hettisurmail

I am collecting my new baby marginated tortoises tomorrow but we have to have a five hour car journey home. What should I transport them in? I really need some advice please help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Maybe a plastic storage box with some substrate or something non slip in it. if you do a search I'm sure there are threads about it there - possibly under roadtrip.
How many are you getting?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When they are shipped they are packed in a insulated shipping box that has air holes and then they are usually placed into a breathable bag or a smaller contained so they can't move around much and then paper or something is packed in to hold them in place. They are most of the time shipped over night.
So, if it were me, I would put him in a small box with a lid and some holes in the top and upper sides with paper towels on the bottom and some loose paper towels just waded up to keep him warm incase it's cooler where you are driving or if you have to have Windows open. Then when you got him home, give him a nice long warm water soak, 20-30 minutes, then into his home with some food and his bowl of water and leave him be until the next day.

ethan508

Northern Utah
How to travel with a tortoise
Take more than two steps between dribbles. :p Have I been watching too much basketball?

I traveled home from San Diego (13 hour drive) with a gold fish in plastic bag w/water and the bag in cooler once. He is still with me 2+ years later. If your pet will stay in the conditioned (heat or A/C) vehicle with you then the process is a lot easier on them as temperatures comfortable to humans aren't dangerous for tortoises for short term. It is if they have to sit in a vacant vehicle or warehouse (like when shipped) that you have double check your temperature controls. Just remember parked cars get over hot really quick on a sunny day.

Oh and make sure the box or cooler the pet is in a really secure position (on the floor, wedged between the seat). Use blankets, pillows, or other gear to make sure the container is sliding around or doesn't upset.

hettisurmail

Take more than two steps between dribbles. :p Have I been watching too much basketball?

I traveled home from San Diego (13 hour drive) with a gold fish in plastic bag w/water and the bag in cooler once. He is still with me 2+ years later. If your pet will stay in the conditioned (heat or A/C) vehicle with you then the process is a lot easier on them as temperatures comfortable to humans aren't dangerous for tortoises for short term. It is if they have to sit in a vacant vehicle or warehouse (like when shipped) that you have double check your temperature controls. Just remember parked cars get over hot really quick on a sunny day.

Oh and make sure the box or cooler the pet is in a really secure position (on the floor, wedged between the seat). Use blankets, pillows, or other gear to make sure the container is sliding around or doesn't upset.
Thanks. Definitely don't need to worry about a sunny day. :(