How to stop George from trying to hibernate?

Jdaniel

Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, Alabama
Hello, again, everyone and merry Christmas.

I Do not think George has enough weight to successfully hibernate, so I have increased the lights on time in an attempt to stop it, but he won’t stop trying to hibernate.

He keeps burying himself for days at a time.

He eats fairly well when he’s out, but it’s hard to get him fresh food when I don’t know when he will be out.

I think I am going to try digging him up (he’s in a terrarium to grow out for now) for a warm water soak because he’s been buried for a week now.

Unless someone thinks it’s a bad Idea to disturb him?

Jdaniel

Mobile, Alabama
Decided to go ahead and start soaking him, propped him against a piece of rock in an old mixing bowl.

79356E55-5BB2-4373-8223-281903827307.jpeg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Merry Christmas to you, your family and George of course..........!!

He may simply be hiding, not "trying to hibernate" as it may appear to you and I.

If you have a nice spread of temps for him to choose from for his comfort and "hides" at all locations, he should be good to go......imho of course. FWIW; try limiting the lighting (you may have to compensate by raising a heater if you use one) and covering the sides of his home limiting his view of the world.....they will come out more when they feel safe....so if you see an uptick in his activity after doing these things, it will tell you he was not hibernating. At least you won't be wondering.

It's nearly dark in this room other than the TV, comp screen etc....and it's 4AM and Matilda is out and about in her home. She will hide when her lights comes on.

Good luck!
jeff

BTW---Matilda will seek temps in the mid 60's so maybe the bottom of that "safe zone" marked might be a little warm?

Milwaukee
Hi I am dealing with similar issues and Leo is new to me. She is an ornate box turtle i got her in June. She is not fully grown and when I got her from a captive breeder she was under weight and hard to get eating so like George Leo is burying herself most of the day but still eating well. I haven’t had her long enough to tell if she just likes to burry her self or if she wants to brumate. Thanks in advance.