How to stop dog marking house plant?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Recently my dog has decided to pee on house plants brought in for the winter. Any suggestions on how to curb this behavior. It has happened 3 times in the last month

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe the plants had previously been pee'd on by cats or dogs while outside. ???

I've heard you can put down sticky tape in front of the plants (two sided sticky tape).

Also, clean the area well and spray with something to mask the already-there pee smell, then start feeding the dog in that spot.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Maybe the plants had previously been pee'd on by cats or dogs while outside. ???

I've heard you can put down sticky tape in front of the plants (two sided sticky tape).

Also, clean the area well and spray with something to mask the already-there pee smell, then start feeding the dog in that spot.

thank you. We put all the plants out of the dogs reach. Hopefully that eliminates the problem.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
how old is the dog ? I assume intact ? i'd just correct him if I caught him …….. doesn't need to be more than a no that startles and stops him , to hard of corrections does nothing but distract the dog from what he was corrected for , they then haven't a clue what they were corrected for ……. as said removing the smell as best as possible is a good idea , it's pretty much impossible to remove that smell to a point a dog can't smell it ……… they all can learn it's wrong , but sometimes an intact dog will get excited and they won't be able to help it , it like a reflex to a stimulus .………. neuter absolutely helps , but if it's gotten to be a habit even then it takes time and corrections ……. consistent , fair and appropriate corrections always works …….

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
how old is the dog ? I assume intact ? i'd just correct him if I caught him …….. doesn't need to be more than a no that startles and stops him , to hard of corrections does nothing but distract the dog from what he was corrected for , they then haven't a clue what they were corrected for ……. as said removing the smell as best as possible is a good idea , it's pretty much impossible to remove that smell to a point a dog can't smell it ……… they all can learn it's wrong , but sometimes an intact dog will get excited and they won't be able to help it , it like a reflex to a stimulus .………. neuter absolutely helps , but if it's gotten to be a habit even then it takes time and corrections ……. consistent , fair and appropriate corrections always works …….

He just turned 3, and he is neutered. I’ve had him since he was 11months. This was his first time doing this in the house. It’s not all the time, both times were on the same plant and with the plants gone, maybe it will fix the issue.
Both times I have him a firm no and took him outside.
Thanks for the response

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
In this situation it may be best to repot the plant with new soil and a new pot. I would also spray the plant down as you never know the leaves may have remnants of being marked before. Dogs noses are so sensitive so this may be the best option for you. You could also use enzymatic cleanser such as natures miracle, link below. Good luck!

https://www.chewy.com/natures-mirac...MI6e7Pk87E5gIVDhQMCh0AIgbbEAQYASABEgJ5-vD_BwE