How to set up lighting in a vivarium ?

alexnorcross

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi all,
I have had my tort for coming up to a year and have had him in a small vivarium that I put on a dresser, and purchased a long light stand so the lights are above the lid of the enclosure.
I want to get a bigger cabinet vivarium (like the one in picture) as he is growing but I don’t understand how I would fix the lights inside. I see pictures on here sometimes of light bulbs somehow in the enclosure but I have no idea how to do that.
I have no clue about DIY so any advice or alternative solution is greatly appreciated ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What species do you have? I ask because the viv in the pic likley will only last a year maybe 2 before you will need a bigger one.
As for hanging lights inside. The tube fluorescent usually need to have something rigged onto them to hang them from. I used to rig mine with chain and hooks. Then hang from a cup hook screwed into the ceiling of enclosure. Use the cup hooks to hang the others too.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
I have had my tort for coming up to a year and have had him in a small vivarium that I put on a dresser, and purchased a long light stand so the lights are above the lid of the enclosure.
I want to get a bigger cabinet vivarium (like the one in picture) as he is growing but I don’t understand how I would fix the lights inside. I see pictures on here sometimes of light bulbs somehow in the enclosure but I have no idea how to do that.
I have no clue about DIY so any advice or alternative solution is greatly appreciated ?
For wooden enclosures you'll need to drill a tiny pilot hole and then hand screw in little metal coffee cup holders that Barb mentioned. For expanded PVC enclosures, you can usually just screw the hooks directly in, but the tiny pilot hole helps here too.