How to properly hold a tortoise?

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hey everyone,
I know this sounds like a really silly question and all, but how exactly do you all hold your tortoises to carry them from an area to another. For example, when holding my tortoise flat on the palms of my hands, her sharp nails can really hurt as she tries to move. Also, I've read that it's bad to hold the tortoise from the sides as if shes flying as it could increase stress.

If there is a proper way to maybe hold a hand sized tortoise, I would really appreciate it. Sorry for the silly question.
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well some will say to support the legs. I on the other hand carry my leopards with one hand one each side. My Russian I have to carry him with my fingers and between his back legs. Any other way and not only can he scratch, but more importantly he has been able to push off my fingers so hard that I had almost dropped him. Do which ever way is safe for the tort not to fall.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My way might be a bit controversial, but I hold my tort like a tray with my hand underneath her. Then I put my other hand on top of her shell and it calms her down and makes her feel more secure. It also helps me not to drop her!

Dosu

Kuwait
Both hands.
Four fingers under each side of the plastron in the middle to support the weight and thumbs on top of the carapace.
This also makes it more difficult for the tortoise to scratch you!
Well some will say to support the legs. I on the other hand carry my leopards with one hand one each side. My Russian I have to carry him with my fingers and between his back legs. Any other way and not only can he scratch, but more importantly he has been able to push off my fingers so hard that I had almost dropped him. Do which ever way is safe for the tort not to fall.
My way might be a bit controversial, but I hold my tort like a tray with my hand underneath her. Then I put my other hand on top of her shell and it calms her down and makes her feel more secure. It also helps me not to drop her!

Thank you all for your advice! I will definitely be trying the ways you all have mentioned :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My hubby and I sometimes use what we call the "Tortoise Taxi." I got a small plastic tub (like the kind used for washing dishes) and carry her in it. She can't climb out, she can't scratch me or push herself away. She also can't see through it, so she seems less stressed because her feet are ON something so she doesn't feel like she's suspended in space.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My hubby and I sometimes use what we call the "Tortoise Taxi." I got a small plastic tub (like the kind used for washing dishes) and carry her in it. She can't climb out, she can't scratch me or push herself away. She also can't see through it, so she seems less stressed because her feet are ON something so she doesn't feel like she's suspended in space.
Would love to see a pic.