How to prevent him from flipping over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
Its good he's ok.I can't personally comment on the enclousure i can't view jpg files for some reason will figurethat out eventually.but i will say this i came too this forum about two months after acquiring mt first tort,i don't have a huge tort backround but have kept reptiles Mainly snakes more than thirty years.i have changed several things in the way i care for my torts based on what i've read here.i don't know any of these people personally,in fact one of the posters does not like me maybe more don't know,but i read theeir posts and i can tell ya if the three people i'm referring too say that enclousure is too small i would take a serious opened minded look at it and go bigger.if for no other reason too just not take any chances. john

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Pickles looks to be approx. the size of my Hermann's, who's outside enclosure is approx. 7.5' X 5.5' ( a bit over 40 sq'), and her inside enclosure is approx. 4' X 3' (12 sq.', and that's pretty close to being cramped!)...like everyone else has taken the time to tell you, that enclosure would barely be large enough for a medium-sized bearded dragon or a pair of leopard geckos, but much too small for Pickles...and Pickles may reach 12-15" in length, so plan on building a much larger enclosure...minimally, I'd plan on 10' X 6' X 3'.

Will you be able to keep him/her outside during the warmer part of spring/summer/warmer part of fall, or inside year 'round? If inside, the cypress mulch is a perfect substrate for your tort's home...if you build an outside enclosure, too, stroll over the enclosure section and check out some GREAT ideas (particularily TerryO's waterfall for her red-foots...very cleverly built!)

Lot of folks here who'll be pleased to help the two of you become a knowledgable tort-mom and tort-dad...many are experienced breeders, as well.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Sorry you feel attacked, but that isnt the intention of the folks here.See, the great thing about this site is that there are alot of very knowledgeable folks out there and alot of new tort and turt owners who dont know as much. When pictures are asked its so that we can see the whole picture and try to help. Everyone on here just wants to help and be sure these animals are getting the best.
When i first got my "bert" i got advice from the fellow I got him from who was a reptile dealer. I went on his word .It was my husband who found this forum and it was soo helpful. everyone has an opion and not every opinion works for everyone. so, I hope you give those a chance who would be very glad to help you and answer your questions. But i can honestly say that the great folks on here really helped me and gave me alot of great advice.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi there! Please don't feel attacked...we really just want what is best for your tort so it can thrive and therefore you will be happy. We all are a very passionate bunch...read some posts and maybe you'll see? Never take one single person's advice on anything torts...many people mean well and think they are giving great information, but its outdated or just plain inaccurate. This forum has been an amazing resource for me and hasn't led me astray. With the advice I was able to better my tort's enclosure and he's very active and shows signs of thriving long-term (such as growth and good health). Something you just can't see in two weeks.

Honestly I think whatever breeder told you that size and type of enclosure was both adequate and good for awhile for that tort was giving bad information...a tort won't thrive in that enclosure long-term..sorry. They need space to roam, hide, and exercise in their home. Its also a bad idea to let your tort out to roam...it will just make it more restless when you confine it again, as well as its dangerous for it to roam the house (cold, can ingest something like hair/dust, and they just want a safe place to feel at home, which includes hides).

Likely your tort was either climbing the walls, or very likely, that log hide. I have seen first hand my tort climb the log and fall on its back while trying to get down. I too had to baby proof my enclosure from my observations of my tort's behavior...I learned to use either hides with vertical sides, or fake plants that can't be climbed...for a redfoot, a pile of sphagnum moss is also a nice hide.

Long term you want something many times larger, a moist substrate such as 100% cypress mulch (mind posting a link to the brand of whatever you mixed in...some substrates even sold for torts and that are widely used can actually be dangerous), several hides, a larger dish that is easier to get into (possible sunk down? make sure its deep enough for the tort to compltely stick its head in to drink, otherwise they can't suck up the water). When you are talking the size of enclosure we are, assuming you are housing indoors for much of the year (outside is ideal), you can't get an aquarium, and custom made is expensive. You may want to go big and block off part to expand as the tort grows (no matter how big the enclosure is to start, if the tort for example doubles in size, its like the enclosure shrinking by half...not a good thing).

Many make a tort table (wood box) and line it with plastic, and cover it with Plexiglas or similar to keep in humidity, or a plastic tub or stock tank similarly covered (even foil works in a pinch), etc. There are pros and cons of the glass tanks, but typically they are chosen by owners who want to easily see their torts (although they are great for humidity, they also have some drawbacks like air flow and some torts get stressed in them and walk into the walls). Even a plastic kiddie pool for example is great (raised off the floor and likely partially covered to keep in heat/humidity). I'd set up the enclosure so you can adjust the light/heat up and down to adjust the temperatures as the ambient temperatures change (which they will...even if you keep your thermostat the same temp year round, it will vary slightly in the enclosure which is away from the thermostat, such as based on humidity changes). I'd get an accurate thermometer like a temp gun to quickly measure temps on the substrate, not on the wall at one place.

What are you feeding?

Good luck and don't feel overwhelmed. We're here to help when/if you want it (I think you have quite a few votes here against that breeder).

Status
Not open for further replies.