How to make outdoor enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hey everyone, so I really need to make an outdoor enclosure for my adult Russian tort but I don’t have a clue about what to do, and don’t want him to become food. He will most likely be inside at night, but I want him to be outside a lot during these summer months. Also, if any of you have any weed recommendations, that would be great.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Here’s mine , dry stacked the stones I got from Home Depot, made a cover out of 2x2s and hardware cloth. Easily relocated if needed

Attachments

• E385EFD1-11E2-4512-8115-CFADB38226B9.jpeg
    E385EFD1-11E2-4512-8115-CFADB38226B9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • E28DFBD3-2E96-4795-96DF-01EF2E4C7617.jpeg
    E28DFBD3-2E96-4795-96DF-01EF2E4C7617.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your adult russian tortoise needs more space than those covered enclosures pictured, and you don't need to cover it. He will need about 8'x16' so he has lots of marching room, and bigger is even better.

I fenced off a portion of my yard for my Russians using 16' corral lumber.

I started by putting down cement masonry caps then I built the fence on that, attaching the boards horizontally and screwing them to 4'x4' posts sunk into the ground.

Later when I'm on my computer where my pictures are I'll post a picture

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not saying all tortoise yards need to look like mine. I'm just giving you some pictures to give you ideas:

I don't know if you can see it, but the masonry caps are under that bottom board. This inhibits them from digging and helps protect the wood
Russian tortoise yard 5-11-20.jpg
It also gives them something to sun themselves on besides the cool grass:
Russian Yard 4-4-12 b.jpg
Russian tortoise yard 8-19-16 a.jpgRussians 3-14-17 b.jpg

Colorado
I'm not saying all tortoise yards need to look like mine. I'm just giving you some pictures to give you ideas:

I don't know if you can see it, but the masonry caps are under that bottom board. This inhibits them from digging and helps protect the wood
View attachment 298994
It also gives them something to sun themselves on besides the cool grass:
View attachment 298996
View attachment 298995View attachment 298997
That looks awesome! Do I need to get a substrate for mine if the grass if fertilized though?

Colorado
Awesome, thank you!

Colorado
Your adult russian tortoise needs more space than those covered enclosures pictured, and you don't need to cover it. He will need about 8'x16' so he has lots of marching room, and bigger is even better.

I fenced off a portion of my yard for my Russians using 16' corral lumber.

I started by putting down cement masonry caps then I built the fence on that, attaching the boards horizontally and screwing them to 4'x4' posts sunk into the ground.

Later when I'm on my computer where my pictures are I'll post a picture
You said it doesn’t need to be covered, what about birds and coyotes that will want to eat him? Also, how much shade does he need?