How to make a Zoo Med Tortoise House waterproof

StaffordC

Location (City and/or State)
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Zoo Med Tortoise House for my Ibera Greek hatchling, and I need to know the best way to make it waterproof so that the humidity and water do not warp the wood or make it rot. I have thought about sealing it with a non-toxic sealant, but I can’t find a good brand to use and feel like there may be an easier way to do it. Please let me know if you have any suggestion! Thank you in advance

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've heard of people using Flex Seal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Zoo Med Tortoise House for my Ibera Greek hatchling, and I need to know the best way to make it waterproof so that the humidity and water do not warp the wood or make it rot. I have thought about sealing it with a non-toxic sealant, but I can’t find a good brand to use and feel like there may be an easier way to do it. Please let me know if you have any suggestion! Thank you in advance
There really isn't a good way to do it. The right sealants will cost as much as the habitat, and its just not a good habit for any species or any age.

Give this a read:

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I use stick on linoleum squares. You can use them on the bottom and the sides. You can buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. Before installing put them out on the patio or somewhat where they can warm up as it makes them easier to work with. Of course, do not put them out in the super hot sun.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom that the enclosure is a waste of money and too small for any tortoise.
However for any other proper sized enclosure needing to be sealed I would buy flex seal that toddrickfl1 mentioned. It's not cheap, 85 bucks for gallon but works great. I did an expensive but cheap wood chicken coop last year. It sat out last fall winter and so far this summer in the Chicago weather and it looks like I just sealed it.