How to know when my tortoise turns itself over?

janetm

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
I wondered if anyone knows of some type of alarm that can be placed on a tortoise that will let you know if she turns herself over? I have a DT in an outside enclosure who somehow keeps turning herself onto her back. I keep making adjustments but she is determined.

nicoleann2214

NY
I wondered if anyone knows of some type of alarm that can be placed on a tortoise that will let you know if she turns herself over? I have a DT in an outside enclosure who somehow keeps turning herself onto her back. I keep making adjustments but she is determined.
Have you thought of using a camera so you can check on her.

janetm

Phoenix AZ
Or perhaps do you have something that she is climbing up on that is steep?
No. The enclosure is surrounded by concrete blocks, 2 high, and she wants out. We moved recently and her enclosure (and her sister's) is temporary and they are not happy. Will be starting their new enclosures any day now, hoping to finish before they brumate next month sometime.

nicoleann2214

NY
No. The enclosure is surrounded by concrete blocks, 2 high, and she wants out. We moved recently and her enclosure (and her sister's) is temporary and they are not happy. Will be starting their new enclosures any day now, hoping to finish before they brumate next month sometime.
Gotcha, I think a camera would help for now

Dutchgirl

Los Angeles
The Blink Cameras are reasonably priced and very easy to link to your phone - however, while they’ll give you an eye on the pen, they won’t alarm like some elder bracelets do …
I would give them temporary Condos of cardboard boxes, lining the interior.

Dutchgirl

Los Angeles
The Blink Cameras are reasonably priced and very easy to link to your phone - however, while they’ll give you an eye on the pen, they won’t alarm like some elder bracelets do …
I would give them temporary Condos of cardboard boxes, lining the interior.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
All I can think of right now it to see if you can fix some kind of structure like a box frame onto his shell on top so that it is impossible for him to turn upside down but I am not sure how to do it, without it being permanent and you don't want that!

TortyJay

England
These could absolutely be made by someone with some ability. With a conductive ball that completes the circuit when the tortoise has flipped and sounds an alarm.
We have a camera installed but at the same time honestly if it does flip over it’s not to say you would look at a camera or be close enough to do anything about it. The best thing is a safe enclosure or do your best to make one.

sometimes I see people with ramps with no sides and it just looks like and accident waiting to happen.