How to keep sulcatas from overheating?

smjohns

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
I’ve been wanting to start keeping my sulacta outisde for parts of the day but I live in Arizona and it gets very hot in the spring and summer. I was wondering how to keep my baby from overheating. If anyone could help that would be great, thanks!!

xMario

Germany
I’ve been wanting to start keeping my sulacta outisde for parts of the day but I live in Arizona and it gets very hot in the spring and summer. I was wondering how to keep my baby from overheating. If anyone could help that would be great, thanks!!
How old is your baby? Generally I would say if u have shade and easy accessible water it's no problem for him to stay outside. If he's really young like under a year I would make sure that u dig him a burrow that is deep enough to provide a drop in temperatures. But there's no guarantee that he will use it on his own. If u cant monitor him during the outside times and if u know it will be very hot I wouldn't risk it and let him stay indoors. :) I think more experienced owners will shine in and give u there tips. Good luck[emoji16]

smjohns

AZ
She’s almost 2 years but I do have a nice shaded area outside. So I think what I’ll do is during the really hot days just keep her inside and the other days just watch her and the temps. The burrow is a nice idea and I’ll do some more resreach on making outdoor enclosures. Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help!!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I made these little culvert tunnels and hides for mine. The culverts were free. I added a wooden frame and covered with dirt to make them cooler. I planted things in them too. So far I’ve planted carrots, banana trees, and hibiscus.

Attachments

• 26B104D6-23C5-4B2B-AE55-96BB26670E9A.jpeg
    26B104D6-23C5-4B2B-AE55-96BB26670E9A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
  • AE8E7872-9E70-4E38-9292-972BE3CEBEB3.jpeg
    AE8E7872-9E70-4E38-9292-972BE3CEBEB3.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 85

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Burrow. The only way to escape that AZ summer heat is to go underground. They usually won't dig their own until they get bigger than about 14-16", but there are exceptions. You can try to start a burrow where you want it and see if the tortoise will go for it. If not you will need to make and underground burrow that is deep enough to get the tortoise out of the heat, but still allow you access.

They should not stay outside in a burrow all year. Its much too cold in winter. I am well aware that many people in AZ do this, but many of them also get sick or die from it too. In fall, I block the burrow entrances and make them sleep in their heated winter night boxes.

Nordys

Glendale AZ
I live in Phoenix also so this was very helpful. My sulcata is only about 7 months old. This will be my first summer. Thank you. Shirley

Nordys

Glendale AZ
Nordys has a lot of shade. I am hoping she will be outside most of the summer. However, if during the summer (115+ days) I may bring her in. Maybe just wet her enclosure down during the day. Kind of like evap cooling. We will see. I am still learning. She likes heat, not sure if that would be too much heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Phoenix also so this was very helpful. My sulcata is only about 7 months old. This will be my first summer. Thank you. Shirley
Babies should not be outside all day. Its not good for them and it will cause dehydration and pyramiding. It is much better and healthier for them to spend the majority of each day inside in their humid closed chambers.

My general rule of thumb is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Anything over the high 90s is extremely dangerous to your baby. There must be deep shade, misters, sprinklers, and preferably an underground shelter that doesn't not get too hot whenever temps start getting close to triple digits.

RoxyRund

ARIZONA
Tom, I recently got a sulcata girl I believe to be 5-7 years old. She has pyramiding but there is nothing I can do about that. I have several water areas in the shade for her outside, she does not like to dig which I am grateful. My question is I have a dog house for shelter with Timothy hay but she does not like it. At night she prefers to be in the corner where she feels safe, should I put her in the house, or just let her do her thing. Also in the morning she grazes and at dusk, then goes to her corner. Most of the day she is asleep in the shade or asleep in her water dish. Do I need to worry about the heat? Live is Phoenix AZ. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• B2F7AE62-B1A4-4469-BFEC-9B276C57BB2A.jpeg
    B2F7AE62-B1A4-4469-BFEC-9B276C57BB2A.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 79D0E1FA-9CBA-4AAA-A65A-47BC435E01B4.jpeg
    79D0E1FA-9CBA-4AAA-A65A-47BC435E01B4.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 8A811A67-7F80-45DF-95D7-75207BF9E859.jpeg
    8A811A67-7F80-45DF-95D7-75207BF9E859.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3BDF8957-6F96-4C73-8B89-418169AA54D0.jpeg
    3BDF8957-6F96-4C73-8B89-418169AA54D0.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 7
  • B26C6CD4-2E02-463F-A4E1-F1B40C18D334.jpeg
    B26C6CD4-2E02-463F-A4E1-F1B40C18D334.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I recently got a sulcata girl I believe to be 5-7 years old. She has pyramiding but there is nothing I can do about that. I have several water areas in the shade for her outside, she does not like to dig which I am grateful. My question is I have a dog house for shelter with Timothy hay but she does not like it. At night she prefers to be in the corner where she feels safe, should I put her in the house, or just let her do her thing. Also in the morning she grazes and at dusk, then goes to her corner. Most of the day she is asleep in the shade or asleep in her water dish. Do I need to worry about the heat? Live is Phoenix AZ. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Its too hot during the day. Your tortoise needs an underground shelter dug by you, or dug by her. Topside temps are just too hot.

Dog houses are for dogs. They aren't designed and don't work well for tortoises. Build a proper night box, or have one built, and lock the tortoise up at night, but watch the temps closely. If its over 100 in the box, don't lock the tortoise in there. Your routine will need to shift with the weather and seasons. This is why underground is best for the hot weather, and then switching to a heated night box is better in the cooler weather. Here is an example: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/single-tortoise-night-box.181515/

I don't like Timothy hay for tortoises. Too stemmy. Especially for small ones like yours. Get orchard grass hay or Bermuda hay instead.