How to keep substrate dry

lauraespinosa01

Hi all,

I was planning to do an intro post, but I have kind of an urgent question, so I'm going to start with that first!

My almost 3-year-old redfoot tortoise lives in a glass enclosure indoors. The enclosure is filled with potting soil and has a layer of orchid bark on the top and sphagnum moss in the hides. I have several plants in the soil and for the past several months everything has been just right - the plants are thriving as is the tortoise :)

But lately she's taken to digging down into the soil and almost burying herself in it. She seems to really enjoy this and from what I've read, it's normal. But the problem is the soil tends to be very wet from watering the plants that are in it. The orchid bark tends to stay dry (humid), but once she digs down into the soil she's sitting in wetness. I noticed she's starting to get some fungus or something on the bottom of her shell :(

I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to treat her shell, but I'm wondering how other people avoid this problem?

I'm thinking I could move all the plants to pots buried in the substrate so that the moisture would be contained in pots, but it seems like other people do have plants directly in their substrate or soil. How do they deal with watering them but keeping the tortoise's substrate dry?

Thanks in advance! I'll write an intro post soon :)

(She does have a UV tube light and a ceramic heat emitter, FYI)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I keep the plants that thrive better moist in pots and the more hardy plants right in the dirt. Best of both worlds. I have seen it on here where fungal cream for athletes foot for example is recommended to treat shell rot. I am using it on my box turtle now and am seeing positive results.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can make the substrate deeper, much deeper. Start with a layer of small stones for drainage, the put something immovable over that layer, like maybe the plastic that they use to make under gravel filters in fish aquariums. then put the substrate over that. Give the tortoise lots of substrate so he can't get down to the gravel layer. The excess water should drain through and down to the gravel.

Or, like lismar says, keep the plants in pots and don't over water them.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Air flow within the deep layers as Yvonne mentioned. As for watering your plants - try Ice cubes...they melt slowly thus, no flushing of the plant and valuable nutrients that sit within the pot soil itself or flushing them to the bottom of the saucer / enclosure "wet spots". This technique also works well for the fact you can count the number of ice cubes you need to achieve the "perfect" watering without the over water excess.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Air flow within the deep layers as Yvonne mentioned. As for watering your plants - try Ice cubes...they melt slowly thus, no flushing of the plant and valuable nutrients that sit within the pot soil itself or flushing them to the bottom of the saucer / enclosure "wet spots". This technique also works well for the fact you can count the number of ice cubes you need to achieve the "perfect" watering without the over water excess.
Does this work on tea plants. Hahahaha:D:D:D. Ok its not that funny.
Priceless information.

lauraespinosa01

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I will definitely try the ice cube thing - that's creative!

I realized that what I could try for now is burying flower pots in the two places that she burrows rather than for the many plants. She only digs in two places so if I can contain the soil in those two spots hopefully it'll stay dry. I'm planning remove EVERYTHING from her enclosure and change the substrate in 2 months so then I'll go head and move all the plants to pots and add some more layers for drainage.

Thank you again!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your tort and her enclosure asap. This step would enable us to help you more easily.

And please keep us updated.