How to keep mold out of substrate?

slumbalam

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I was wondering how to keep fungus and wood mite out of substrate, would isopods eat the mold and mites? What kind of substrate would be good for the isopods and cherry head tortoise

slumbalam

Massachusetts
I was wondering how to keep fungus and wood mite out of substrate, would isopods eat the mold and mites? What kind of substrate would be good for the isopods and cherry head tortoise
this is one of the bugs in the substrate

Attachments

• bug.png
    bug.png
    884.2 KB · Views: 17

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Pic not very clear but pretty sure they are isopods as well as the lil white bugs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The little white bugs are probably spring tails. These are harmless detrivores and they do the same thing as the isopods. The isopods will compete with them for food and space.

As chubs stated, fir bark and cypress mulch don't mold.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have coco coir which does not mold, either. Although before I set up my lighting I did have a spider web-like white film on the coir which I had to remove. Never put the soil in before the enclosure is complete. Also make sure to spot clean frequently for poop and scattered food.