How to keep humidity up in open-topped tub?

zephyrsmom

We've set up a cement mixing tub with forest floor mulch and sphagnum moss, set a MVB over one end. The digital thermo-hygrometer reads a max of 55% after heavy misting down, and has a low of 30% if we don't mist constantly. From what I understand, redfoot tortoises need pretty high humidity, what advice can I get for making sure the new arrival will be comfortable/healthy? Would soaking every other day suffice if the ambient humidity is lower?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You can increase humidity by keeping the substrate moist, adding real plants, having an enclosure with high sides, covering part of it or making it an actual closed chamber. If you're getting a baby tortoise it will need more heat and humidity than adults, even adult redfoots.

zephyrsmom

@russian/sulcata/tortoise: We're mimicking this setup for a hatchling.
Baby_Redfoot_pen_using_a_jumbo_boa_tub.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Use plexiglass to make the sides taller and then partially cover the top. Get a mercury vapor bulb and a CHE and you should be good to go. although I have heard that red foots do better with the long tube type UVB bulbs because they don't like the superbright mercury vapor bulbs. and they like lots of hiding places, like live plants.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be very careful with the soaking the substrate with redfoots. They are more prone to shell rot and fungus then the leopard, sulcata and some others. With the redfoots, you do need a high humidity, but you need to keep the top layer dry.
Cover at least 3/4 of the enclosure. Make the bottom layers damp, by pouring warm water into the corners. If the humidity still doesn't come up,cover the whole enclosure or add a humidifier

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@russian/sulcata/tortoise: We're mimicking this setup for a hatchling.
Baby_Redfoot_pen_using_a_jumbo_boa_tub.jpg

A set up like this only works if the entire room is warm and humid all the time, like in a reptile room. In a normal cool dry house it will not work. Your tortoise will be too cold, and when you add more heat to maintain the temperature you will dry out the enclosure and desiccate your tortoises carapace which will lead to pyramiding and malformation.

If your tortoise room is not warm and humid 24/7, you will need to make a closed chamber.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would also recommend to partially or fully cover the enclosure to raise the humidity. You could always just buy a shower curtain to put on top. When my humidity was low, my redfoot (and a lot of others on this forum, too!) had really bubbly, watery eyes to compensate for the dryness. I don't think it's very comfortable for them.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Today it rained in Florida all day. As most here know by now I am having problems with humidity. Turbo is right next to a very large window, so today since it rained all day I opened the window to get some of the 100% humidity. Nothing happened. It still stayed around 40 to 50% How can it be 100% humidity and it still not effect the enclosure? I think the only way I can get humidity is to put him out in the rain....but I would never do that.

Mavrik

I would partially cover your enclosure to help keep the humidity up in at least that portion, if not the whole ambient humidity. I had the same issues with my littlest RF when he was in a tub like this -- I could not keep the humidity up for the life of me. I even soaked sphagnum moss in water, would put in the enclosure -- check on it a few hours later and it would be bone dry again. Che never really came out, only stayed buried deep down underneath where I assume the humidity was. But when I moved him to a different enclosure with higher sides and covered 1/2 the enclosure with plastic wrap, suddenly he comes out to play and I see him just wandering around checking things out. Hope you find something that works for you!

zephyrsmom

Thanks for the information. I took a photo after getting home with the baby, and this is what we have to work with:
11021064_10152726636682291_5550765039229301699_n.jpg

We are getting 60-80% humidity in the moss-filled log on the warm side, and it is pretty dry in the cool end. The little one did indeed bury themself into the dark corner under the warm log, where temps were between 80 (in the log) and 68 (overnight). Questions:
If I were to cover the tub with plexiglass, then which side should be covered? Wouldn't plexiglass filter out the UV from the MVB? I don't want to cover the whole top (there wouldn't be air flow?)...

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
What about those plastic covered greenhouses that zipper. I have seen those used by other members over the lights and enclosure. If I remember they are not costly around $30 and worked well.

zephyrsmom

What about those plastic covered greenhouses that zipper. I have seen those used by other members over the lights and enclosure. If I remember they are not costly around $30 and worked well.
Any idea what they're called? I may look into that.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East

Thats the idea. I have seen someone use this to cover their enclosure. They also have smaller ones you would have to look and see what size would work for your enclosure.Search indoor greenhouse or cold frames. Sometimes they are plastic with zippers like this. http://www.amazon.com/Gardman-R687-4-Tier-Mini-Greenhouse/dp/B000NCTGQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425219033&sr=8-1&keywords=indoor greenhouse They laid it on its side instead of having it upright. Here is another one .http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
For a redfoot I would not let any part of your enclosure go below 80, even overnight, especially if you are looking to raise the humidity. How many watts is that light you have? You shouldn't be turning it off if it's going to go down to 68, your little guy will get sick.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We've set up a cement mixing tub with forest floor mulch and sphagnum moss, set a MVB over one end. The digital thermo-hygrometer reads a max of 55% after heavy misting down, and has a low of 30% if we don't mist constantly. From what I understand, redfoot tortoises need pretty high humidity, what advice can I get for making sure the new arrival will be comfortable/healthy? Would soaking every other day suffice if the ambient humidity is lower?
A warm welcome to the forum!