How to increase square footage?

Astrid37

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia, USA
Hello! I'm expecting my baby Russian from Garden State Tortoise in mid-August. I've read the care sheet and noted that the adults need 32sq ft of roaming space, minimum. Would there be any way to achieve that by moding this enclosure with ramps, for example? https://apcages.com/products/t25-72l-x-30w-x-18h-1?variant=171213881367 All suggestions and thoughts are welcome! Thank you in advance!
-Emily Astrid

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Will he have an outdoor enclosure for the warm months and this only for winter months? If so this would be okay.
Otherwise you could add on to one end. I think its too low to add a second level.

Astrid37

Virginia, USA
Will he have an outdoor enclosure for the warm months and this only for winter months? If so this would be okay.
Otherwise you could add on to one end. I think its too low to add a second level.
He or she will have plenty of daytime outside time in a safe enclosed space with grass/shelter/water etc... when it's warm enough but will be inside for evenings and nights year round, as well inside 24x7 during the chilly months. I live in Northern VA USA if that helps. Do you think that I could get away with just this enclosure under these circumstances?

If not, how tall would it need to be to add a second level?

Many thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's only 18 high. Most lights and heat need to be 12 to 16 inches off the floor of enclosure or from tortoise height. So probably at least double. If it were me, I would cut a hole in one end for him to go into an add on.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Animal Plastics builds a nice enclosure. The problem is that you will have to wait for a looooong time to get it. Some people have waited months.

I would suggest an alternative. One of our members, @Markw84 builds gorgeous "smart" enclosures. They really are top of the line. And they are modular...you can start with a 4' x 3', then when the tort needs more space, you can buy a module that attaches to the original piece and doubles your space. If you're interested, you can PM him using the username I posted above.

If that doesn't work out, we have other tricks up our sleeves, but I think you'll love Mark's enclosures.

I agree with Wellington...18" is just not high enough. Your lights end up being so low that they are too bright or too hot or the UVB is too strong...it's just a hassle. I think most of us have 24" high, and some have 30". Mine is 24".

Your baby will need a closed chamber until he is older, maybe around 2 years depending on how fast he grows. Once he's big enough, you could switch him to a tortoise table. That has an open top, and that's when your 2nd level could be great! Before then, I suppose 30" would be OK for a short 2nd level, as long as the ramp is long enough to make a gentle slope.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I'm expecting my baby Russian from Garden State Tortoise in mid-August. I've read the care sheet and noted that the adults need 32sq ft of roaming space, minimum. Would there be any way to achieve that by moding this enclosure with ramps, for example? https://apcages.com/products/t25-72l-x-30w-x-18h-1?variant=171213881367 All suggestions and thoughts are welcome! Thank you in advance!
-Emily Astrid
Doing it the way you plan with a large outdoor enclosure for most of the year, I think you will be fine with this size. All the better if you hibernate the tortoise during the winter months.

Personally, I'd use the indoor enclosure and the outdoor enclosure while the tortoise is a baby, and then switch to outdoors full time once the tortoise reaches around 4 inches. This is accomplished with a temperature controlled night box, and you make sure the tortoise is in it and then lock the door shut every night to keep nocturnal predators at bay. Every morning, I open their doors and they can come out when they want. This species needs cooler nights. I don't use the boxes to keep them "warm" like I would for a tropical species. I just use a little heat to keep them from getting too cold at night in early spring after I wake them from hibernation, or too cold in early fall before I'm ready to hibernate them. The basking lamp in the box is only used if Mother Nature throws a cold spell at me after I've gotten them up from hibernation and they've already started eating.

Its all explained here, with pics too: