How to increase humidity?

Yodathetortoise98

Location (City and/or State)
Brampton
Hey everyone,

This is a basic question with many different answers to. But I have a 6 Month Red Foot Tortoise that I got just a few days ago and his terrarium humidity index ranges from 50% to 65% in the middle of the terrarium. I have misted but it doesn't go up by that much. What else can I do? I have the proper bedding for him too but maybe I need more? Thank you, kindly

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
If you have a proper closed chamber you won't need anything else. I dont have any foggers, and my humidity stays at 95%

Once you have one all you have to do is if it drops below 80%, pour some warm water into the corners of the enclosure and thats it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone,

This is a basic question with many different answers to. But I have a 6 Month Red Foot Tortoise that I got just a few days ago and his terrarium humidity index ranges from 50% to 65% in the middle of the terrarium. I have misted but it doesn't go up by that much. What else can I do? I have the proper bedding for him too but maybe I need more? Thank you, kindly
You can get a closed chamber. Nothing else is going to work, and humidifiers should not be used.

jeannettep

Texas
You can get a closed chamber. Nothing else is going to work, and humidifiers should not be used.
Tom, I'm curious why not use humidifiers? I even use one for myself when humidity is low.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
There is a difference between humidity that is in the enclosure and pumping moisture into the habitat with a humidifier. Its completely different. If you want to get his attention for a more detailed answer you have to do this,

@Tom

?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Using a humidifier is a less reliable and more complicated way of doing what a CLOSED CHAMBER with the correct substrate does naturally with no fuss.
It's an unnecessary complication.

Relic

Here
What you are basically doing is adding water to a bucket with a hole in it...it never ends. But get a bucket without a hole and it is "one and done."