How to hydrate a large sulcata

Kadels

5 Year Member
When a tortoise starts eating a lot of hay, pay careful attention to hydration. Best to soak early and often.

It is between 30-60F here, and my Sulcata weighs more than I can lift. She won't voluntarily soak because it's too cold. I saw the post about lukewarm water - but how to keep it lukewarm, and how to get her to drink (I've never seen her drink). Looking for suggestions because she already has some pyramiding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is between 30-60F here, and my Sulcata weighs more than I can lift. She won't voluntarily soak because it's too cold. I saw the post about lukewarm water - but how to keep it lukewarm, and how to get her to drink (I've never seen her drink). Looking for suggestions because she already has some pyramiding.
The pyramiding starts during their first couple years of life. If those babies are kept too dry and hot, they pyramid. Once they're as big as yours, there's nothing you can do about it.

Spritz her food with water, and occasionally feed her a cucumber.

Raven1

Louisville,ky
We ended up taking two small kiddy pools and bolting the top to the the other pool then cutting out a hole in the top of the pool and putting warm water in the pool just enough that she can walk around and do her business. Once ours is done going to the bathroom, we place her in the the other kiddy pool so she can soak and drink. Works like a charm. Plus making the pools big enough that ours can not get out. Most places won't have the kiddy pools, due to it being out of season but we were lucky enough to get them from a True Value hard ware store for about 9 bucks a pool.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use a dog water bowl for Walker, It's one of those that can't be turned over. He has been using it for several years and drinks out of it more during the cold months than in the warmer weather. I also feed him at least one large cactus pad, collards and mazuri daily during winter. He loves the fallen tree leaves either wet or dry. (which is his main diet during winter). Here is a pic of him at his water bowl last Saturday when the temperature was about 40 degrees F and raining, he drinks the cold water so no need to warm it up.Walker drinking.jpgThat bowl holds 3/4 of a gallon and he can empty it in one setting.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie used to drink out of a dog bowl. I replaced that with the largest plant saucer I could find. I think it is over 20 inches across, still not big enough for him to soak, but he can drink. When it is warm out, I turn on the sprinklers for him or spray with the hose. There are depressions in our yard where there are shallow pools he can soak in. This time of year, he gets hydration from the humidity in the air when it is foggy or raining. Also I rinse out the inside of his night box, and as it dries, the heaters make it humid inside.

CEvans

Phoenix
Great post, so I have questions. I have tried the kiddie pool during the summer and Buzz would not go near it. I have a lawn that gets watered and he eats from it all the time and sometimes walks right over the sprinkler head and gets a nice douching from underneath.
I have finally put a low rim water bowl out he can not tip and put some of his food into it so that he is going after it with while water is there. That way he knows it is his drinking place. I have not seen him drink just water yet. He urinates every day so I feel he is getting plenty of water. His poop is wet when it comes out looks fine.
I do have a curator at the herpetology society that lets me call him and he says the water from the grass is more than enough. Thoughts?

Bee62

Germany
Great post, so I have questions. I have tried the kiddie pool during the summer and Buzz would not go near it. I have a lawn that gets watered and he eats from it all the time and sometimes walks right over the sprinkler head and gets a nice douching from underneath.
I have finally put a low rim water bowl out he can not tip and put some of his food into it so that he is going after it with while water is there. That way he knows it is his drinking place. I have not seen him drink just water yet. He urinates every day so I feel he is getting plenty of water. His poop is wet when it comes out looks fine.
I do have a curator at the herpetology society that lets me call him and he says the water from the grass is more than enough. Thoughts?
I would try to dig a little pit in the ground and put the kiddie pool in it that the water level has the same level as the earth around. When your tortoise can see the water she will drink and maybe soak.
You should have a close look on the urates of your tort. When the urates are slimy as toothpaste your tortoise is good hydrated. When the urates get gritty the tort needs more water "input".
In a hot climate and hot summer days the water from the gras the tort eats could be to less for a good hydration.