How to heat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensie

5 Year Member
So I just built a large indoor enclosure for my sulcata torts and im having a lot of trouble keeping the temps up. My mom keeps the house at about 65 degrees (Im only 15 so when I told her we should heat the house more for my torts she laughed and said no way :( ) but anyway the enclosure is about 7.5 ft by 5 ft and the walls are about 1 ft tall and I can only get the temp to about 80 in some spots(where the lamps touch) as of right now I have four 100 watt reptile bulbs in the enclosure but it still isn't warm enough for my torts. Is there anyway to heat this monster of an enclosure?... The humidity is thankfully staying between 80-90%. So no worries there. But if anyone has any suggestions about how to keep the heat up I'd love to hear them.

Love my sullys ( Blair who is almost a year and squirtle who is about five )

kensie

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375928830.522822.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375928890.528232.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375928912.096815.jpg

It's not covered... I can cover it (I think) if you think it won't get too humid

The pictures are from as I was setting it up so I didn't put the water in there yet

Last edited by a moderator:

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Closing the top will boost your temps because the heat will stay trapped in. Also sulcatas are a okay with humidity so it would probably be beneficial in both aspects. Maybe you could save up for a small space heater for the room they are kept in, that way mom's comfortable and so are the torts. And where in the world are you? 65 degrees is FREEZING here!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With an open top like that your humidity is not going to be correct either. So I would cover it. That will make it a whole lot easier to heat and will get your humidity to where it is suppose to be. Humidity should be 80% with a temp of 80 day and night with a basking of 95+. Covering it will help you out a lot, keep your torts warm and humid and will save your moms money, which she could use to buy you more tortoises:D

How old and big is your sully? Also, try hanging the lights. Those clamps your using has been known to fail and could either burn your tort, start a fire or both. Your mom really won't be happy about that.
Also, adding some edible plants will make your tort happier, feel safer and will help with humidity.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You need a better thermometers . The one in the pictures are almost always untrustworthy . I would get a heat gun I would bet the temperatures under them lights are a lot hotter than you think.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

kensie

5 Year Member
alysciaingram said:
Closing the top will boost your temps because the heat will stay trapped in. Also sulcatas are a okay with humidity so it would probably be beneficial in both aspects. Maybe you could save up for a small space heater for the room they are kept in, that way mom's comfortable and so are the torts. And where in the world are you? 65 degrees is FREEZING here!

Ok I will.. I live on ohio but my mom likes the cold.. 65 is absolutely freezing here too! But alas she always wins

wellington said:
With an open top like that your humidity is not going to be correct either. So I would cover it. That will make it a whole lot easier to heat and will get your humidity to where it is suppose to be. Humidity should be 80% with a temp of 80 day and night with a basking of 95+. Covering it will help you out a lot, keep your torts warm and humid and will save your moms money, which she could use to buy you more tortoises:D

How old and big is your sully? Also, try hanging the lights. Those clamps your using has been known to fail and could either burn your tort, start a fire or both. Your mom really won't be happy about that.
Also, adding some edible plants will make your tort happier, feel safer and will help with humidity.

The one in the picture is about five( or so I was told from the guy i got him from) in all honesty i haven't weighed or measured him ( I know bad me) but if I had to take my best guess i would say shes about 7 or so inches and anywhere from 14-20 lbs... I really should get her exact measurements. And I have a little sully whom is about a year and I have no clue about the measurements but i see him growing.
I've been trying to get all hanging lamps but i don't get paid again till Friday so ill get some then... About the plant i have REALLYYY bad luck growing anything at all so what would you suggest?

Ill grab a better thermometer when I go around to get different lamps and plants... Also does anyone know where the best place to buy coco coir at? There are so many places online i have no idea who ships the fastest and is the best price.

Love my sullys ( Blair- almost a year and squirtle- about five )

Oh and what's best to cover the enclosure with?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
For a cover I could use wood. You can get ply wood for about 9 bucks at home depot and they will cut it for you.

kensie

5 Year Member
klinej50 said:
For a cover I could use wood. You can get ply wood for about 9 bucks at home depot and they will cut it for you.

Ok... This is probably a stupid question but how should I put the lights with the closed enclosure?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Well my closed chamber is 4 feet high so I put them in the enclosure. Not to sure for your enclosure. I would get the lamps to hold the lights and then cut holes in the wood. If that made since?? Sorry I'm not good at explaining things[INFORMATION DESK PERSON]

kensie

5 Year Member
klinej50 said:
Well my closed chamber is 4 feet high so I put them in the enclosure. Not to sure for your enclosure. I would get the lamps to hold the lights and then cut holes in the wood. If that made since?? Sorry I'm not good at explaining things[INFORMATION DESK PERSON]

That makes perfect sense... Cant believe I didn't think of that... Must've been a blonde moment.. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.