How to get my three RTs to eat Mazuri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
My three RTs eat well but I would really like to get them to eat Mazuri tort chow. I am currently soaking the Mazuri pellets and then squishing it into fresh broccoli florets. As they eat the broccoli they are also eating the mazuri. I would like to be able to eventually offer just the mazuri sometimes.

Do any of you have any good tricks for this?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
If they eat the broccoli with the Mazuri, just continue doing that and slowly increase the amount of Mazuri while decreasing the broccoli and soon they will just eat Mazuri with out any extras... You can also do that with other favorite food they eat...

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Not sure how Russians think but our Sulcata is the opposite. He had one taste of mazuri and refused to eat anything but mazuri for awhile. We started mixing things into his mazuri to trick him into eating the other and now he's back to both on his own. Good luck! I'm sure someone with Russian experience will be able to tell you more.

fgately

5 Year Member
Is it necessary to soak the Mazuri? I imagine it would be difficult to digest without any supplemental moisture added to the pellets. What do some of you do?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am pretty sure that there are big adult torts that eat it dry. I soak mine and spread it like a paste on the greens.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Somebody mentioned a drop of red food coloring while soaking (like the Red Tort Sticks), since red is such an appealing color to them. One of my RT's eats soaked Mazuri readily, the other one could care less about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.