How to get an injured tortoise to stay hydrated?

ravenna147

Location (City and/or State)
London UK
Hi all,

I have a two years old Hermanns' who was badly chewed in her front and back shell by a dog. She has been at the Vets for a week and returned home two days ago. I am to give her antibiotics and change her dressings every three days. My main concern at the moment is ensuring she stays hydrated. I forgot to ask the Vet about water/letting her bathe. Does anyone know whether I can try and bath her when I change her wounds, or if a simple small water bowl is enough?

I haven't given her a large enough bowl that she can sit in so as to not let the wounds get wet. But I also haven't seen her drink or seen the bowl water level go down, which concerns me. I'm going to add some cucumber as I know that can help, but long term (about 3 weeks until her antibiotics are finished), how can I get her to drink water and stay hydrated?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If she's eating, you can spritz water over the food. Cucumber is also a good idea. Maybe you can call the vet and ask if it's ok to get the injuries wet (so you can soak).

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd agree on calling your vet ......having lots of dogs and lots of turtles , I've had a few chewed up , couple fatal , some minor , and one i'm amazed lived ……..could you post a picture of the wounds ? personally , i doubt i could be convinced not to soak the turtle in clean water long enough for it to drink normally ………been my experience the sooner you get them back to normal behavior the better the survival rate ……..…….