how to clean my enclosure?and heat lamp help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersmile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
now that i planned out the habitat for my sulcata 6 inch tortoise, im wondering how will i clean the habitat? i plan to have newspaper with cypress covering it. iv had hamsters, fish, cats, rats, and a dog and i know they all have a different need to be cleaned. so how often do i have to clean the habitat? do i give fresh water every day? what are somethings i need to make sure are always out of the habitat at all times? and how many inches of mulch should cover the habitat?

also, the person i am babysitting it for, for the winter doesnt have a heat or uv lamp for it. so i need to buy one. what are the cycles i should keep for it, like day and night? and whats a good brand? and other info about it.

this is a Sulcata tortoise thanks :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Usually, if you spot clean, then the bedding should last you all winter without a major clean up. Some prefer to do it once a month. Up to you and how mush of a mess your tortoise makes or if you think he smells. :p

They like to use their water dish as a potty, so yes it should be daily. ;)

How warm do you keep your home where he will be? Mainly asking about at night to see if you really even need a heat lamp or CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night. Usually during the day, the UV light is one that puts out warmth too.

Supersmile

5 Year Member
Connecticut
ok ill see if anything doesnt look right in the enclosure and change water every day :D

well it really depends if my parents want to spend money on heating or not. my dad gets really cheap and tells us to ruff it for winter. the low would be 60 (hopefully) and high about 75. but if it gets really cold in the room he will be in i have a very small nice heater i can put in the room that will heat it up quick. i also have a humidifier if it gets dry.

so what lamp should i get? :D thank you for your help!

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
I personally replace my substrate for my Red Footed Tortoise every single month and replace to water everyday or when its looking dirty or empty.

And about the lights, just keep them on all day and during the night turn them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.