How rude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We just had a delivery of hay today. My brother tossed the Sulcys a number of large flakes of Bermuda hay. They acted like they were happy and content. We left to go run a few errands. When we got back this is what we saw:

The big jerks broke apart the Rubbermaid shed that holds the alfalfa hay and ravaged it! If you look close, you can see the top of Chloe in the middle of the pile. Big old Perseus just looks at me like "what are you gonna do?"
He's right, I laughed and walked away.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
lol He's got the face of like "Oh yeah, thats right i did it". Thats funny.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I gotta laugh at that one, as well. There's nothing as fun (or funny) as mischievous sulcatas (right maggie?;))

BTW...how big is that guy...he's gorgeous! WC?

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
DeanS said:
I gotta laugh at that one, as well. There's nothing as fun (or funny) as mischievous sulcatas (right maggie?;))

BTW...how big is that guy...he's gorgeous! WC?

Thank you,
Yes WC, imported as a hatchling in the sixties (as the story goes). Here are a few more pics of him. He was pissed for the rest of the day, after we flipped him.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How big? I've seen 20 - 30 year olds that were well over 150 and as much as 200 pounds...but at 50 years +...JEEZ! Your hand looks like a child's on him.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
We haven't got him to a scale yet. We just re-homed a 115lbs male and wasn't anywhere near this guy's stature.
I am sure there are bigger sulcys out there that are younger. I would attribute that to the "usual" overfeeding. There is no way to verify his age so who knows?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Like I said...his mass dwarfs your hand and I was guessing he's at least 3 feet long...the longest (and subsequently largest) I ever saw was 39.5 inches SCL and 196 pounds. Currently, I know a girl who has a WC female approximately 30 years old that measures 36 inches and weighs around 150-165 pounds...and is built very much like yours. If you can't get a weight on him, i'd like to at least know his length.

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
awesome pictures and awesome story !! haha i seriously am starting to believe our sullies are a very mischevious schemeing breed haha, i love it ! can someone enlighten me what WC means though ? beautiful torts by the way, friggin huge !!!!

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
they are all Awsome! I cant wait till i can get another one myself LOL..I like em bigger...I love there personalities :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ADVANceNA said:
awesome pictures and awesome story !! haha i seriously am starting to believe our sullies are a very mischevious schemeing breed haha, i love it ! can someone enlighten me what WC means though ? beautiful torts by the way, friggin huge !!!!

WC= wild caught

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
And they say that these guys are not destructive.:D :p Cute pictures. Next time I think they might need you to leave a babysitter home with them. ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Nobody who knows Sulcata says they are NOT destructive. They can take down your sheet rock wall in just a few hours...Bob has destroyed a fortified block wall day after day no matter how I fixed it. I had t-posts inside, I staggered the blocks, the only thing I didn't do was cement them in place. But I did everything else imaginable. Bob can take down a block wall stacked 3 high in a matter of minutes...

But I must say I am kinda upset at you flipping your tort. Why would you do that and how long do you leave him? We are taught to believe that's not good for a larger tort to be on his back for any length of time. I know Bob has flipped twice recently and it was obvious he was very stressed by it. He urinated and pooped all over himself in the time he was flipped. I know *I* was very upset by it...yet you flipped your tort on purpose...why? If you don't mind explaining please?

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Maggie,
You are right. It shouldn't be done. He was over for all of 2-3 minutes. We did it to get the pics and measure him. He didn't urinate or poop at all. Afterwards he didn't want to be around us for awhile. He is usually pretty social and likes his neck rubbed.

I appreciate your concern. For any new sulcata owners, it's not a good idea for several reasons. First they can dehydrate quickly if they are in the sun. Second, Their lungs are located at the top of their bodies and can suffocate if they are heavy enough.

Lastly, Perseus was not injured in anyway from it. He is still ruling the yard and devouring hay by the minute.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I always flip 'em to clean the plastron...probably twice a week...Aladar doesn't mind it too much. He doesn't kick at all nor is there any distress vocally (you know what I mean). Then again, he isn't on his back longer than a minute.;)

M

Maggie Cummings

I hope you will accept my apology...for whatever reason, to me, your post sounded like you flipped him on his back as punishment for the damage to the hay shed. I am so sorry to have misunderstood. Yes, we all do flip our big guys over to wash them off. But I sure thought you left him as punishment...I am so sorry to have misunderstood...again, I do hope you will accept my apology, and that misunderstanding was all my fault...:(

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
Maggie,
No worries, It is impossible to convey emotion with text (smileys help). It would do no good to punish my tortoise. It's me that end up learning the lessons. Apology accepted but not needed. Thank you.
Dean,
He stays pretty clean with the wading pool. We do flip others to clean if/ when needed. He is to big to flip by myself, my brother was there to help. That was his hand in the picture.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
BTW...I want it to be known that I want dibs if you should EVER have to part ways with Perseus (God forbid!)...Just as Tom finds RV to be the most perfect sully around...I gotta choose Perseus...ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! Did I mention GORGEOUS!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.