How often to tortoises poop

lichjen

5 Year Member
Ok, my first reptiles were anoles when I was a kid

Then I went to my Red Tail Boa - who goes after 2-3 feedings

So what about Tortoises. They went when they were shipped. and at least he went tonight (tho she may go later)

Just wonder what I'm up for! I know my 11 month old snake's pattern (need to know my new boy) and need to learn the tortoise's pattern

Also - if I go outside can we take them out to be in the sun. It is about 80* out right now

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
How big is ur tortoise? Remember birds can see u and ur tortoise before you see the bird. They will swoop and get him/her depending on how big it is. You can always put them outside with a homemade or store bought cover with wire fence over so no birds can fit threw nd get them. Sun is very IMPORTANT! ! For the tortoise the best nutrients they can get. But make sure they have a shade side to when if they get to hot. With the poop ours poop like once/twice aday or 3 if they had a good meal. The warmer they r the easier they can poop so therefore u will see more poop. 80 degrees is good make sure its a sunny 80 degrees not a cold windy 80 degrees haha

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Agreed, be very careful outside. Here is what my new Redfoot tortoise is in when she's outside...

Old (disinfected) large cat littler box, sprinkled with lots of hay for hiding, an old window screen over the top for sun and airflow, and a broom laid over the top to hold it on in case of a breeze.
I just used what was laying around.
I set a timer for 30 minutes and checked on her while I did chores around her.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How often they poo is based on a lot of things such as diet (what and how much they eat), how warm they are, how active they are, ect.., Add to it tortoises love to eat ****, their own included so you may not see any at times because the four legged cleanup tank came through first.

For taking outside the temps are warm enough so yes. Just be very careful, especially if you have them running loose. Turning your back for even "just a second" can be a disaster. Tortoises are great at just blending into their surroundings, either becoming "rocks" or digging down under plant/bush crowns. I would suggest always placing them into some kind of enclosure when outside, even if your still going to be "standing guard". Also while they need sun, remember they also need to be able to get out of the sun and into cooler shade to lower their temps if needed. Hatchlings also like to have the comfort and security of some protection from the big cruel tortoise eating world, this can be done with hides, but especially good plant cover is great outside.

lichjen

5 Year Member
They are both little - one is 31 grams and one is 50 grams - Before I take them outside I'll get some sort of enclosure - I do photoshoots with my older snake outside and my husband stands guard (Have not taken the new one out yet) and I would love some outdoor photos of my Tortoises - and most of the year is hot

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Im not sure where you live, but I went to Home depot and bought four book shelves for $3.99 each and a roll of wire fencing for $25. I nailed the four shelves together and aded support beams with some old boards I had lying around. I cut the fencing to size and nailed it to the top of the structure, leaving one corner open and secured with a nail I can twist to release the screen. I can move it around the yard to where the best weeds are. Outside at 80 is great weather for them! Now the poop question. I have five in a big tort table and I hardly see any poop in there. Like someone said before, they tend to eat it before you find it, but if they are eating well, you will see a WHOLE LOT of poop in the tub when you soak them. I put 5 in the tub at once (biggest is 112 grams) and I have to clean and refill at least three - five times before they get a good 30 - 45 minute soak!