How Often Should I Give my Russian Tortoise Franklin a Good Soak?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
If an adult, probably once or twice a week for 30 mins. If baby, than probably every day for the same amount of time.

If anybody knows better please let me know!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
From Tom’s Russian Guide....

Soaking:
Some tortoises need it. Some don't. None of them are harmed by it. I recommend babies be soaked several times a week. I like to taper it off as they gain size. Some people choose not to soak their Russian tortoises. This is fine IF you have an established adult tortoise who is comfortable in its environment, your enclosure is very well designed with many microclimates available, your humidity is adequate in your area, and a suitable water source is available and obviously used regularly. Are YOU sure you meet all those criterion? If you are not 100% sure, then there is no harm in soaking your tortoise once or twice a week. I live in a very dry area. We have hot temps and single digit humidity most of the year. Most of my tortoises have humid underground retreats, but I still soak them once or twice a week depending on the weather. I like to use opaque tubs and warm water about a third of the way up the shell for 20-30 minutes. Here is soaking time at my place:

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
From Tom’s Russian Guide....

Soaking:
Some tortoises need it. Some don't. None of them are harmed by it. I recommend babies be soaked several times a week. I like to taper it off as they gain size. Some people choose not to soak their Russian tortoises. This is fine IF you have an established adult tortoise who is comfortable in its environment, your enclosure is very well designed with many microclimates available, your humidity is adequate in your area, and a suitable water source is available and obviously used regularly. Are YOU sure you meet all those criterion? If you are not 100% sure, then there is no harm in soaking your tortoise once or twice a week. I live in a very dry area. We have hot temps and single digit humidity most of the year. Most of my tortoises have humid underground retreats, but I still soak them once or twice a week depending on the weather. I like to use opaque tubs and warm water about a third of the way up the shell for 20-30 minutes. Here is soaking time at my place:
I read it already, he says nothing about how often you should soak an adult.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I read it already, he says nothing about how often you should soak an adult.

Right here... ➡️ This is fine IF you have an established adult tortoise who is comfortable in its environment, your enclosure is very well designed with many microclimates available, your humidity is adequate in your area, and a suitable water source is available and obviously used regularly.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Right here... ➡ This is fine IF you have an established adult tortoise who is comfortable in its environment, your enclosure is very well designed with many microclimates available, your humidity is adequate in your area, and a suitable water source is available and obviously used regularly.
But does it say how often I should be soaking him if I want to?

zovick

10 Year Member!
But does it say how often I should be soaking him if I want to?
I would recommend soaking the tortoise twice a week and more if you want to do so. It certainly won't hurt anything and will help keep it from becoming dehydrated or getting a fecal impaction or bladder stones.