How often should I feed my tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Try lettuce romaine and apples and carrots as treats. Not too much apples and carrots because they are sweet and don't have much fibers. Feed food with high amounts of fiber. Tom Is right tortoises are grazers give him lots of food and replenish it every time he finishes it. Ps I also have a Russian.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not feed apple, or romaine to a russian ever. Maybe a small amount of grated carrot mixed in with other greens once in a while.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would not feed apple, or romaine to a russian ever. Maybe a small amount of grated carrot mixed in with other greens once in a while.
Why never romaine? I know it is pretty empty, but thought it was fairly good for hydration?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why never romaine? I know it is pretty empty, but thought it was fairly good for hydration?

Because, as you said, its empty. It fills up their stomach, taking the place of better foods that should be in there, and offers very little benefit.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dunno. I feed all kinds of lettuce to my tortoises they seem to like it.

There's a difference between liking a food and it being a nutritional benefit.

Children adore candy, chocolate and chips. None of those should be the main part of their diet.

Lettuces are fine. They do no harm. But the nutrition and fiber content is low. Iceberg is the real baddy; romaine and little gem are better but still shouldn't be the majority of a tort's diet.

dkosnik

Clinton Twp, MI
My Russian Tortoise, Ty is an eater! Every morning, I shower and put him a little tub to soak. When I'm done I let him roam for a bit but he knows where the food is so that's where he goes! I try to mix up his food choices between leafy greens, green beans, squash, carrots and a radish. Not all at once, of course.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feed my redfoot every day, but don't worry if I miss a day or three when I'm away from home.

Jamie

dkosnik

Clinton Twp, MI
Jamie, I'm in the same boat. I'm at my girlfriends' every weekend. Maybe that's why he eats so much. Seriously, I think one of two days away should be fine but I'd like to hear from others on this matter.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've left him for a week-long absence, twice, although both times I left a large pile of pothos leaves in the enclosure ... he's done fine, although I waited until he was over 100g before leaving him this long.

I think as long as the temp and humidity of the enclosure are dialed in and stable, it's no problem for tortoises to go without us for a while.

Jamie