How often do you change substrate and substrate alernatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am doing some research on redfoots and I am wondering how often you have to change the cocofiber/ecoearth? They do urinate and poop a lot I suppose so I don't think it's possible to spot clean. Is it possible to use something another product out there that is cheaper ( at walmart, home depot etc) and doesn't have flies? Thanks!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Mine off urinate and defecate in their water - so if you're changing the water daily - you should be able to keep the substrate for quite a while. You can also use clean topsoil as long as it has no additives, fertilizers, pesticides ... etc.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
ONLY Cypress mulch and/or Long-fibered Sphagnum mulch [ not PEAT moss ] are the ONLY substrates that I've used and have been told do not have ANY bugs ever!

Every 'commercially' produced "substrate" has been reported to me to be "buggy".. and that does include any/all "natural" soils!

Any long term success with anything else that costs less than $3 for a 2 cu. ft bag is welcomed to be considered....

NERD

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use top soil, mixed with peat moss and cypruss mulch sprinkled on top. I clean the water dish every day, and just spot clean the substrate, and change it completely twice a year. In his hide I have Long-fibered Sphagnum moss and change that about once a month.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
I never really change the substrate. I mix and stir every couple months. I keep a live subsystem at all times, which seems to make the poop vanish in no time. Plenty of plants and omnivorous crap eating critters, including worms, pill bugs, millipedes and of course centipedes to keep the populations down. The plants love all the critters and the predators keep the flying annoyances from laying eggs and driving you nuts. The smaller detri... detred... umm... dead stuff eating bugs, keep things like shell rot and waste products under control. The worms provide a tasty treat occasionally when one becomes brave enough to venture to the surface.

With moving recently, I have had to battle ants. This is a whole new scenario, as it's indoors and those m*t*****ka's are resilient. Ants love the environment in the big tort terrarium, so I've taken the battle outside, to the source. But I digress. If you work towards a micro-environment and try to duplicate a functional ecosystem with minimal additions and subtractions, you'll find torts to be amazing fertilizer factories for a wide variety of beneficial plants. Never throw away their poop, if anything, compost it and reap the benefits.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Tried a coco-fiber heavy substrate, personally did not like it.

My favorites are:
- Long-fibered sphagnum moss, fluffed and damp but not wet. It seems to last me about 6 months before I feel I need to do much to it.

- Cypress mulch. I have a love/hate relationship with this. It is cheap, light, clean, and easy. But it does not help provide a very realistic setting with natural behaviors.

- Bioactive substrate. I LOVE this one. Combine sand and organic materials like clean bagged topsoil, mulches, mosses, etc. Add isopods and worms, and, ideally, some clean garden soil. It makes a mini compost pit that simulates real dirt. It breaks down wastes, kills pests, eliminates odors, provides natural humidity and allows natural 'snugging in' behaviors.

Your mileage may vary, but I got (harmless) bugs in everything BUT the Bioactive stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.