How often do i need to feed a mediterranean spur thighed tortoise

Adamn

I was just wondering if I am feeding my tortoise at the correct time. I feed him every morning 2 large lettuce leaves and 2 spring cabbage leaves. How often and how much should I be feeding him? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I feed my babies daily. When the light first comes on in the morning, I put them into a little tub of warm water. Then I prepare their food. I use a combination of mulberry leaves, grape leaves, dandelion leaves, different lettuces from my garden including endive, escarole, red leaf, some mallow leaves, some fillaree leaves and any other weeds I can find that are clean. I chop them all up together, but most folk don't chop. I've found they can eat more when it's chopped into smaller pieces. I place the food at the feeding station and then get the babies out of the water and position them around the feeder. I quickly step out of sight and leave them alone.

For your baby to grow strong and healthy, you need to give him a more varied diet. We have a good care sheet shown at the top of the Greek tortoise section for you.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
There are several ways to go about this. If you are going to be feeding him meals, then I must first suggest that variety is essential. Feeding just lettuce and cabbage is far from adequate. Do like Yvonne does by offering a variety of items all at once, or rotate the ingredients, which is my personal preference. One meal will consist of dandelion leaves and flowers, another will consist of clover and dichondra, while the next one consists of mulberry leaves and chopped optunia. Once the warmer days of spring arrive, I move my guys outdoors, and within their outdoor enclosures, they have plenty of natural graze upon which to browse. I also feed them a small meal once per day to ensure that they don't overgraze the area, usually consisting of mulberry, hibiscus, Chinese lantern, grape leaves, or spring mix that I grow in a series of planters indoors, away from the overbearing South Texas sun.

T.G.