How often do i have to feed my tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I put enough food on the feeding tile to last all day long. The tortoise will come out and eat, go back and rest, come out later and eat some more, go back and rest, etc. throughout the day. If there's no food left at the end of the day you didn't put out enough. If there's a whole lot of food left at the end of the day, you put too much.

April Lynn

San Jacinto, CA
My Yoda eats in the morning and sometimes a couple more times before he's down for the night. Yoda won't eat food left out for too long, he likes his leaves crisp (he won't touch them if they start to wilt or get soft) so I have to offer fresh food a few times a day. Some days he's hungry all day and some days he eats only in the morning. I say let your little one eat as much as she wants...when she's full she'll stop eating.

Oliviatrix

United kingdom
I put enough food on the feeding tile to last all day long. The tortoise will come out and eat, go back and rest, come out later and eat some more, go back and rest, etc. throughout the day. If there's no food left at the end of the day you didn't put out enough. If there's a whole lot of food left at the end of the day, you put too much.
I tried to do the same with my little one , before i go to sleep i put some for her so she can eat when she wants.. but when I just put the lettuce on her dish she started eating till she finished , she didn’t stop, i gave her a big leaf bc I thought she will stop for minutes but that what happened
She’s never get enough haha

Oliviatrix

United kingdom
My Yoda eats in the morning and sometimes a couple more times before he's down for the night. Yoda won't eat food left out for too long, he likes his leaves crisp (he won't touch them if they start to wilt or get soft) so I have to offer fresh food a few times a day. Some days he's hungry all day and some days he eats only in the morning. I say let your little one eat as much as she wants...when she's full she'll stop eating.
Aww what a nice name !! I love yoda

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed once a day. I put out a pile big enough to last all day.

I would add the caveats that you need to be feeding the right foods, and your enclosure needs to be the correct temperature and size. All these things go hand in hand with diet.

You CAN feed too much of the wrong foods, and you CAN feed too much if the enclosure is too cool or too small.