How much weight gain is good and bad?

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
There may not be a definitive answer, but what sort of weight gain are you looking for when you weigh a baby Redfoot? I thought I read that it should be slow and steady, but what is 'slow'? How much is too fast?

How much of an impact can diet - quantity and quality - have on pyramiding? Or is pyramiding more about the temperature and humidity?

I think I have the temperature and humidity spot on, just want to get the diet bit worked out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Slow and steady wins the race. As long as the growth is symmetrical and the tortoise is active and looks healthy, I wouldn't worry about how fast or slow he grows.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Slow and steady wins the race. As long as the growth is symmetrical and the tortoise is active and looks healthy, I wouldn't worry about how fast or slow he grows.

Thank you. Although my older one can't reallydo 'symmetrical' as she has wonky scutes bless her, I bought her because she was different and others didn't want her, having 2 children with disabilities I like things a bit special.

I know what you mean though, even growth across the shell. :)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I don't really worry about too much gain. But then again, my reds seem to be notorious for having a steroid factory hidden somewhere in the enclosure. My only concern is if they lose weight.

My torts have grown pretty smooth for how quickly they grew. I only have one glutton that ended up bumpy despite optimal conditions. Just offer a variety of healthy food and you should be fine.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I agree with @pfara. A diet with variety is ideal. My reds grew a centimeter a month until they hit about 1.5 years then they seemed to slow down a little. But they grew fast! We went form this...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457225998.398415.jpg
To this... In 2 yrs! :DImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457226173.984653.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You should read up on this post from @Madkins007 (I miss your presence Mark!) discussing body mass index. It's really difficult to discuss weight:length ratios outside of some sort of index/quantifiable method. Each tortoise and their situation is different so there's no right/wrong weight but the link below will provide you with a quantifiable reference for appropriate weights based on straight carapace length (SCL) of the tortoise. It uses basic math and Mark does a great job explaining this. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-weight-formula-tbmi.38420/

I see this question posed frequently to the forum and would petition that the thread linked above be posted as a sticky somewhere (@Yvonne G @wellington @Josh). If it is and I've missed it, please direct me to that location and excuse my ignorance.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I miss you, too, Redstrike!

The Tortoise BMI is meant to be a general tool, but it does not work well on small torts. We DO see a faster growth rate the first year or three, then it tapers off for a while, picks up again when they hit sexual maturity (in most species, bigger torts draw the babes).

However, slow and steady STILL is the best idea.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Thanks guys, I will read that. So is too much food the biggest cause of fast growth would you say? Can the environment have an impact on the speed of growth? I know that fast growth can cause pyramiding, hence I'm trying to understand as much as I can.