How much soaking is too much?

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
I have a 5 month old female leopard court that I soak twice a day usually for 10 or 15 minutes each time and heard that you can't over soak but you can under soak.... wasn't sure if her musky smell on her shell was from soaking this much.... she gets soaked first thing in the morning and then gets to eat right after that and usually basks most of the day

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Honestly, I think once a day for the first year is plenty, assuming you have your enclosure setup correctly. If the humidity in your enclosure is over 75% it will ensure that your baby isn't getting dehydrated, and that is why you are soaking them. Also, always make sure there is fresh water available at all times.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I soak mine every morning for 30 to 40 mins while I'm chopping up his breakfast and getting my son up, but I've never encountered a smell on mine... ? his humidity it 90% and his water is always full and clean...is it your bedding by chance?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Honestly, I think once a day for the first year is plenty, assuming you have your enclosure setup correctly. If the humidity in your enclosure is over 75% it will ensure that your baby isn't getting dehydrated, and that is why you are soaking them. Also, always make sure there is fresh water available at all times.
yes it's usually in the low-90s for humidity never below 80 and the temps stay right around 84-85 at night and 90 to 92 on the tile where she basks during the day

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I soak mine every morning for 30 to 40 mins while I'm chopping up his breakfast and getting my son up, but I've never encountered a smell on mine... ? his humidity it 90% and his water is always full and clean...is it your bedding by chance?
Been using paper towels because she had puffy eyes in the beginning and I was just trying to eliminate what could be causing it but she still using paper towels although I've bought some cypress mulch and was thinking of switching her over to that so I don't have to clean her enclosure everyday with fresh paper

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Been using paper towels because she had puffy eyes in the beginning and I was just trying to eliminate what could be causing it but she still using paper towels although I've bought some cypress mulch and was thinking of switching her over to that so I don't have to clean her enclosure everyday with fresh paper
But now I'm thinking it was her UV lighting causing the puffy eyes so I rarely give her any UV maybe an hour or so a day the rest of the day is LED lighting

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have some cypress in mine and I really like it. Mine is a mix of orchid and cypress only because I ran out mid way lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
30-40 minutes once a day is plenty. After they pass 100 grams, I start skipping a day now and then. I don't think 10-15 minutes twice a day is harmful and it shouldn't cause a smell.