How much for an adult female Sri Lankan Star tortoise?

DaneM

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert
Hey guys,

I am starting to get into the star tortoise game and still learning. How much would you guys pay for an adult breeder female? I cannot seem to find the price readily available online to compare. Attached is a pic, so you can have a bit better of an idea of what I'm dealing with. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

IMG_8843.jpeg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
A proven female Indian star/ Sri Lankan star would go for about 2k to 5k. Depending on size and how nice it looks.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
What makes you think they are Sri Lankan’s? There are a lot of hybrids out there. Also people selling Indians as Sri Lankan’s to get more for them. How much do all 3 weigh?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Those could very well be Indians. Without knowing who they were bred by you will never really know. If the male or female get much larger then that then maybe they could be.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
What makes you think they are Sri Lankan’s? There are a lot of hybrids out there. Also people selling Indians as Sri Lankan’s to get more for them. How much do all 3 weigh?

That is exactly the reason why I moved on from getting Sri Lankans. The chances of direct lineage from the original Grigus imported group or from Kingsley’s group before the fire that killed most of them is low.

Plus, as has been shown in other posts, there are larger Indian stars (11-12”) females out there that are not Sri Lankan in origin. There are several breeders with pure animals, Gus being one, but overall most of those selling Sri Lankan’s are full of BS trying to get more money for their animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys,

I am starting to get into the star tortoise game and still learning. How much would you guys pay for an adult breeder female? I cannot seem to find the price readily available online to compare. Attached is a pic, so you can have a bit better of an idea of what I'm dealing with. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

View attachment 333334
The one pictured here is one of the best I've seen. Obviously raised with humidity and good hydration. Great color and a smooth shell. This one is worth top dollar. I'd ask for $3500-5000 for this if its a true Sri-lanken.

I'd buy from Gus any day. He knows what he's doing and the baby will be super healthy.

You can also check with @Rodriguez Chelonians . They have true Sri Lankans, and they also start babies right.

California
That is exactly the reason why I moved on from getting Sri Lankans. The chances of direct lineage from the original Grigus imported group or from Kingsley’s group before the fire that killed most of them is low.

Plus, as has been shown in other posts, there are larger Indian stars (11-12”) females out there that are not Sri Lankan in origin. There are several breeders with pure animals, Gus being one, but overall most of those selling Sri Lankan’s are full of BS trying to get more money for their animals.
We have pure known lineage Grigus line of breeding Sri Lankan stars are Rodriguez Chelonians.
~Amber

California
Hey guys,

View attachment 333334
Finding prices and adult breeders is not an easy. I agree with a price around $4000-$5000 for a proven breeder female. However you will need known lineage as well for that price. Lovely tortoise.