How much do you feed your Hermann’s?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I feel silly asking this question, but how much food should I be giving my Hermann’s at feedings? I’ve learned about the different types of food that are good, but not exactly how much. I’ve been giving mine a mix of yard dandelion leaves, clovers, arugula, sometimes escarole, collard greens, dried hibiscus flowers. It’s usually enough to fill most of a 12 by 12 slate tile each morning. Anything he doesn’t eat by the end of the day I toss. How much do some of you Hermann’s owners feed your tort? Lately he seems like he is still hungry, but I don’t want to over feed him.

ayrgrn

UK
As much as it can eat in 30 minutes is said to be the right amount. I'm not 100% certain on this but it's the rule that I follow myself :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Tortoises are grazers, so with the proper foods and a properly sized enclosure, there is no such thing as over feeding. Your tortoise needs as much food as it can eat in a day, every day :)

ayrgrn

UK
Tortoises are grazers, so with the proper foods and a properly sized enclosure, there is no such thing as over feeding. Your tortoise needs as much food as it can eat in a day, every day :)
That's good to know! I've actually noticed recently that my tort will go eat about 70% of the food that I put down when I put it down and then come back to it a few hours later to eat the rest.