How MUCH do Hermann tortoise grow per year?

Teesh

It would make no sense to give you a size in quarts, since they don't care about vertical space, as long as they can't get out and it is deep enough for burrowing, and the vertical dimensions factor into the volume of a container. You need to be concerned with floor space and dimensions, not volume.

Minimum would be 1 foot x 3 feet for a baby, I recommend 2 feet x 4 feet. A 55 gallon Rubbermaid is a standard size bin that would suit your needs well.
I'm Soo sorry, it's just I bought one and it said fifteen quarts but it's a flat one, so it's about that size maybe a bit more! Thanks a lot I really do appreciate it!!!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
15 quarts is only 3.75 gallons. I use a 15 quart size bin just for soaking my tortoise. It is definitely WAY too small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Teesh, there is no minimum. The tortoise will not drop dead if you keep it in a one gallon jug. What you want to consider is the largest size you have room for. I like to start my babies in 4x4' or 4x8' enclosures. They need LOTS of room to move around and smaller tanks just don't leave much walking room after you add in all the furniture.

Also, measuring in quarts can be misleading. Some of the sweater boxes with low sides hold a lot of quarts, but these enclosures are terrible at holding in heat and humidity and typically lead to a dehydrated and/or pyramided baby. Anything with an open top is going to let your heat and humidity escape into the room, unless the room is always warm and humid.

Here is a care sheet I made for russians. I would house hermanni exactly the same.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And check this one out too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tort-Rex

So, Teesh, have you gotten Harold yet? When you do get 'him', you have to make sure to post pictures :) :p

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

Teesh

So, Teesh, have you gotten Harold yet? When you do get 'him', you have to make sure to post pictures :) :p

-Tort-Rex/Colleen
Of course!!!!but I'll get 'him' in September actually, so you know, I'm just hyperventilating , as usual since I REALLY don't want him to be unhealthy because my dad refused for eight years to get a pet with more needs than a rock!!

Tort-Rex

LOL! Before I got Rex, I was the same way, because I was getting him from PetSmart and I have heard about some bad experiences from pet stores... But he turned out perfect :) Don't worry, I'm sure your little tortoise will be fantabulous :)

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

Tort-Rex

Of course!!!!but I'll get 'him' in September actually, so you know, I'm just hyperventilating , as usual since I REALLY don't want him to be unhealthy because my dad refused for eight years to get a pet with more needs than a rock!!
Oops, forgot to quote...^^

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

Teesh

LOL! Before I got Rex, I was the same way, because I was getting him from PetSmart and I have heard about some bad experiences from pet stores... But he turned out perfect :) Don't worry, I'm sure your little tortoise will be fantabulous :)

-Tort-Rex/Colleen
My hanks a lot and I say Fantabulous all the time!!

Teesh

Thanks!!! I am super exited!!! But he'll be here in a couple more weeks,.,

-Teesh♡

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I found an interesting tidbit (please bear in mind approx/average - and depending on the hand size!!) ...

Age 5 years – 14cm
Age 15 years old – 18cm

1 year - Length of little finger
2 years - “ “ ring finger
3 years - “ “ middle finger
5 years - “ “ palm
10 years - “ “ hand

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! I have 2 hermanns that i was conviced were boys(Hermie and Harry) i only found out a few days ago that they are female!! Im liking the name Charlie :) the diet is the same all year round. Mine like huggles in my neck and they like strokes under their head (i call it their gruff)Be sure to post pics when you get him :p

Sarah Winchester

Cornwall
Aww bless so cute :) welcome to the forum
I have a leopard tortoise and he/she is to young to tell yet as they all look like girls till they hit 5years or 10cm
So I called my leopard tortoise Georgie so doesn't matter weather it's a girl or boy