How moist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I read that russians in their natural habitat dig deep underground where the humidity can be pretty high even though they come from dry areas. I also heard that a substrate too moist can cause shell rot. So my question is, just how moist should I keep their substrate?(eco earth)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Greetings ~

I have seen on this site where peeps have suggested using a moistened sponge to maintain a good measure of humidity within an enclosure, altho I, personally, do not use such. You may want to direct this question to either Robyn, Cory, Danny or Yvonne, as they seem to be the most knowledgeable of the moderators/members here at TFO.

Bestest wishes!
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you moisten your eco earth prior to putting it into the enclosure, and drain off all the excess water, then put a thin layer of dry eco earth on top of it in the enclosure, the shell rot isn't an issue. The part the tortoise lays on is dry, but if you dig down, its moist. Or you can put down the moistened eco earth then put a layer of aspen over the top. The aspen would be dry. Russians don't need much moisture, just a bit down at the very bottom of the substrate. Or you can have the whole enclosure dry, but moisten the part under the hide. You don't have to worry about shell rot unless the tortoise is sitting on wet substrate.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your earth should be damp, but not wet when you first make it. By that I mean, if you squeeze it, no moisture comes thru. Normally the surface of the substrate dries really quickly, especially under any light. You do want to make sure you keep the surface just damp enough, it doesn't become dry and dusty (which can then cause problems).

Are you planning straight Ecoearth or adding sand to it also?

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Your earth should be damp, but not wet when you first make it. By that I mean, if you squeeze it, no moisture comes thru. Normally the surface of the substrate dries really quickly, especially under any light. You do want to make sure you keep the surface just damp enough, it doesn't become dry and dusty (which can then cause problems).

Are you planning straight Ecoearth or adding sand to it also?

Straight ecoearth with some aspen in their den.

Just curious, how often does everyone here give their russians a bath?

thanks everyone

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
In the summer when they are outdoors, I don't give them any. They have rain showers, plant watering, pen cool downs, and of course water dishes to use at any time. Inside in the winter, I make sure they get a soak a week. Young and sick animals more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.