How many years does it take for an Aldabra tortoise to be sexually mature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
USA
How many years does it take for an Aldabra tortoise to be sexually mature?

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Laura said:
its more by size from what I undertand...

Then what size would that be? And approximation on how long would it take to get that size?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Both of my males displayed last year. They were 10 and around 100lbs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
It has been our experience that it is more maturity & size than age & size. One of our best breeder females is 120ish pounds, however is 100+ years old. Our best males exceed 600ish pounds, they are both 100+ years also. We are at odds with young & big aldabra tortoises being able to produce, this is based on our experience over many of years. I have spoke with many of aldabra keepers and breeders that have different opinions on this issue. This species can be very challenging to breed and I only know of few that have had success.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
It has been our experience that it is more maturity & size than age & size. One of our best breeder females is 120ish pounds, however is 100+ years old. Our best males exceed 600ish pounds, they are both 100+ years also. We are at odds with young & big aldabra tortoises being able to produce, this is based on our experience over many of years. I have spoke with many of aldabra keepers and breeders that have different opinions on this issue. This species can be very challenging to breed and I only know of few that have had success.

Interesting

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Greg: Is that your poor little 100+lb female under that great big old male in your new avatar?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
Greg: Is that your poor little 100+lb female under that great big old male in your new avatar?

No, that would be a 250ish pounder, Grace.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Hey Greg, how accurate are the ages on such an old tortoise.Are there hatch records that old or are they just kind of ballpark numbers?..It would be awesome to be able to trace them back that far.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
zzzdanz said:
Hey Greg, how accurate are the ages on such an old tortoise.Are there hatch records that old or are they just kind of ballpark numbers?..It would be awesome to be able to trace them back that far.
Not very, 100+ is generic. There is no way to get a true number. We have tortoises from all over, including Bush Gardens, Parrot Jungle, and Life Fellowship. When they got them they were big and mature imports with no knowledge of the exact age. We wish we had hatch dates, my guess they would be way higher than think.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
That's what I figured..That's to bad,would be really interesting to see all the who's,what's, and where's of one of them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
zzzdanz said:
That's what I figured..That's to bad,would be really interesting to see all the who's,what's, and where's of one of them.
Yes. I agree. We can trace back two of our females that belonged to the Godley family in the Seychelles in the early 1900's. However no known age or size at that point. They are both very mature and our two biggest females. We were told several years back at the purchase of one of our biggest males that he was imported from the Seychelles in 1932. Based on his growth change and shell pattern he was way big and mature when he was imported.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
That would be Bob Clark. He has had hatchlings from his captive born female in her 20's. She is placed with a large male at a zoo for breeding.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I spoke with another keeper today who had a couple of hatchlings last year from a captive raised female that is about 24 years old. This makes it two that I have heard of.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
This is the most interesting thread on TFO!! Amazing to read about.......Greg, do you ever allow visitors to come experience your herd? Idont live anywhere near you but visit florida quite often. My family and I will try to visit different places, I bought my first tort at Abbots back in 2002, they were great and let me tour their place, also have been to glades herps when they were in ft myers and visited their new place in Bushnell.
I want to visit the florida/iguana place in Davie fl...looks interesting........

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
This is a good shot of the underside of one of our best male breeders, notice the deep indentation underneath, this is important for effective breeding.
23ljuk6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.