How many tortoises do you care for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Just one for me! Our plans would be to get a Sulcata someday when we can adopt a full grown one. Not until we get a place with a huge yard and a warm climate (pretty out of the picture at this point). I don't believe in supporting the breeding of Sulcatas. Another one I would consider is a baby Greek. We're pretty happy with Trevor baby for the time being. He's an only child and very very spoiled as we think of him as our son.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. I just read Danny's post of 192 plus and although I know that was in 2007 I'm wondering how many he must have today. Wow that's a lot of tortoises. Danny if you still have that many I'm surprised you don't have a female Cherryhead for Dale. :p

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I accidentally hit the wrong button.

I have 6 tortoises. I sold 5 sri lankan star tortoises recently.

I can't imagine taking care of more than 20 tortoises. Though, I wouldn't mind having 10 radiated tortoises, 10 flat-tailed tortoises, and 10 burmese star tortoises......and 10 Ploughshares (hey I can dream)....and so on.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Candy said:
O.K. I just read Danny's post of 192 plus and although I know that was in 2007 I'm wondering how many he must have today. Wow that's a lot of tortoises. Danny if you still have that many I'm surprised you don't have a female Cherryhead for Dale. :p

Maybe Danny's a tortoise hoarder!:p

M

Maggie Cummings

I see that some of you are explicit in how many chelonia you have. I couldn't figure out how to put that I have 27 ... but this is an old poll, so Josh probably has finished it off a couple of years ago...

S

stells

I forgot about this thread... i voted 8 originally and am now up to 29 plus the last Moroccan of the year hatching as i type...

Danny is down to 171...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What's the most Danny's ever had? I hear he's had a lot. I can't believe out of 171 tortoises he doesn't have a mate for Dale. :(

waynee

5 Year Member
Saugus, California, USA
Josh said:
It's time for the first annual TortoiseForum.org Census.
First, I'd like to thank Kelly (cvalda) for suggesting that we try to estimate the number of tortoises that are represented by TFO's dedicated members.
The poll should be pretty straightforward... if you own more than 10 tortoises please post in this thread with the exact number you currently care for.
I will eventually tally all the answers and see just how many tortoises are represented by our 300+ members.
Each member can only vote once, so please double check your answer before submitting.

We have 2 adults, 8 yearlings, and 3 hatchlings for a total of 13 mojave desert tortoises

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
12 for now....

I do seem to have the bug though.
And I have 8 acres.

Think of how many tortoises I could have...........

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
33!

2.3 Desert tortoises
1.2 Texas tortoises
2.1 Cherry heads
1.2 Golden greeks
1.1 Antakyan/Golden mixes
1.2.2 Dalmatian Hermann's
0.01 Eastern Hermann's
4.7 Russians

Each with its own personality, and I love each and every one of them!

tcocano

5 Year Member
11 Hatchling Three Toed Box Turtles
1 Male Adult 3-Toed
1 Adult Female - 3 Toed
2 juvenile females (1 & 2 years)

Sunrise

5 Year Member
wonder for those who has 90s and 171s tortoise, how do you take care of them? how many hours spent a day? how do you clean the poop? etc?

I only had 20s and it occupied my time for hours and effecting my work. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sunrise said:
wonder for those who has 90s and 171s tortoise, how do you take care of them? how many hours spent a day? how do you clean the poop? etc?

I have high numbers, but only about 15 different species. So that's only 15 pens to clean and feed, not hundreds.

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Sunrise said:

I have high numbers, but only about 15 different species. So that's only 15 pens to clean and feed, not hundreds.

Dont mind me asking, how do you manage?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
samstar said:

Its not a big job at all. I takes me about an hour to wash and prepare their food in the morning, then another hour going around and opening the doors, feeding and cleaning out the pens. I spend most of the day (I'm retired from my paying job) mending fences, building something tortoise-related or cleaning the property. I spend the afternoons reading. I finish a book about once a week. Then about 45 minutes each night going around closing everything up. During the a.m. and p.m. tortoise chores, I will examine everyone to be sure they all look ok, and sometimes in the afternoon instead of reading, I'll take a lawn chair and just sit and watch the animals.

Its no big deal and not a big job at all.

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
samstar said:

Its not a big job at all. I takes me about an hour to wash and prepare their food in the morning, then another hour going around and opening the doors, feeding and cleaning out the pens. I spend most of the day (I'm retired from my paying job) mending fences, building something tortoise-related or cleaning the property. I spend the afternoons reading. I finish a book about once a week. Then about 45 minutes each night going around closing everything up. During the a.m. and p.m. tortoise chores, I will examine everyone to be sure they all look ok, and sometimes in the afternoon instead of reading, I'll take a lawn chair and just sit and watch the animals.

Its no big deal and not a big job at all.

Your a lucky person, wish I could say the same for myself but I have to put up with the nonsense that goes around my daily life. I try to sepnd as much time with Torty when I can before and after work. I enjoy feeding him, soaking him....

Status
Not open for further replies.