How many tortoises are too many?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you find yourself putting it off until tomorrow, then you have too many. If you are able to take care of them and give each one the attention and care it needs, if the habitats are clean and good food is always provided, and if each one has the space it needs and is cleaned up after, then you don't have too many - yet.

Bambam1989

East Texas
The question is a little vague. If you mean how many tortoises can you own- I would say as many as you are capable of PROPERLY caring for is the recommended number.[emoji16]
If you mean how many torts are too many in one enclosure- that depends on the size and age of torts, enclosure size, and type of tort.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
That number varies from person to person. It really all depends on an individuals amount of available dedicated space, resources, and time. If a person has the appropriate amount of space, resources for supplies and food, and time to care for what you have then the person is all set. If care starts to decline due to the above mentions being stretched too tightly, then a person is at or above capacity and should thin their numbers.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
IMHO, and for those of us that do not breed tortoises as a sole source of income, I've always thought that specializing in just 1 or 2 species is a really good way to go. Less chance of disease, more focused care regimens, ability to perfect enclosures and husbandry, etc... Also allows you to dedicate all of your available time and resources to fewer projects. As for a number of animals within given species - see Yvonne's note above!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You know you have too many tortoises when:

You dream of giant tortoises chasing you down in a dark alley.
You can't find five of them and the others are losing weight.
You get home and realize you forgot to give them any water.
Your friends don't come over any more.
Etc. etc....this is fun.....:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think Yvonne's response is the key here.
Animal hoarders become actual hoarders when they have so many the care starts to decline. This is where you have to be real honest with yourself. Don't play the excuse game. Hoarders play the excuse game and don't realize the animals are suffering for the excuses. The care slowly declines. If you don't see it and make excuses for it, you will become a hoarder which is just a nice name for animal neglect and abuse.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
This has come up a few times.

So much depends on how you set the animals up. One tortoise in one enclosure with no automatic anything could overwhelm someone. Checking temps and humidity, cleaning too small an enclosure etc. Large outdoor pens with automatic water-ers with in the ground food in a suitable climate would be the other end of the spectrum.

I'd think a few hundred in that later care regime would be doable, enough time to make good eye contact with each individual daily, and have time to follow-up on any issue that comes up.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
In SoCal I had over 30 turtles/tortoises (my husband wanted me to stop counting) at one point in time. It was so easy. 1 aquatic tank, 2 indoor closed chambers, a few outdoor heated houses and a few different sized planted outdoor pens. Never broke a sweat :cool:

When I moved to Oregon, even 2 was 1 to many.
Having just the 1 is the perfect amount of tortoises for me, here. :tort:

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
If you find yourself putting it off until tomorrow, then you have too many. If you are able to take care of them and give each one the attention and care it needs, if the habitats are clean and good food is always provided, and if each one has the space it needs and is cleaned up after, then you don't have too many - yet.
Totally have to agree here. This goes the same for all pets. When you start slacking in their daily needs, then you're probably at your own capacity. I have 7 snakes, 3 geckos, 6 tarantulas, 3 fish tanks, 1 tort and 2 young dogs. Despite the fact that the majority of my animals only need weekly care/feeding, my busy schedule makes me feel like I am pretty close to reaching my own capacity. Caring for animals should be a passion and not feel like a chore. As long as you're still willing to meet their requirements despite how tired or achy you feel at the end of the day/week, the limit is as far as you are willing to go.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Whenever I read about the efforts folks make to ensure proper humidity and temps for a hatchling or juvenile, I think one is too many! :eek: One sulcata in Illinois sounds harder than four Russians in Califonia.

However many you can manage daily care AND veterinary care for, as needed, is the right number.

Kaliman1962

i agree, 1 sulcata in illinois is a handful, i have a greek, atleast they can stay in the house all winter with no issues

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You know you have too many tortoises when:

You dream of giant tortoises chasing you down in a dark alley.
You can't find five of them and the others are losing weight.
You get home and realize you forgot to give them any water.
Your friends don't come over any more.
Etc. etc....this is fun.....:D
Years ago, I used to have lots of pets - dog, cat, bird, tortoise, guinea pigs... I knew it was time to stop when I dreamed that I forgot to feed the baby elephant!