How Long Until He's Mature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I've had my male Russian Eugene for about 5 months now. He's a little over four inches. The pet store didn't seem to know much about his age. Does anyone know about Russian growth patterns? I'm wondering how long it will be until he is able to mate. I've heard that happens when males are around five inches. I have a female Russian who is 5-6 inches. These measurements are how long they are on the bottom, from the front of the shell to the back. They both have separate indoor enclosures that are 6x2 feet. I also have an outdoor enclosure that is 6x3 feet. They ignore each other when I put them out together and coexist peacefully. I was hoping to breed them but I think Eugene is not mature yet. So how long do you think until thats a possibility, one year? Two?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Males mature between 4 and 6 inches, remember just because you have male and female does not always mean they will mate.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Right, I've read other threads about the difficulties of breeding Russians in captivity. I will be adding another female to the group later this year, and building a larger permanent outdoor pen next spring. I just think my torts are a little too young to reproduce right now. Anyone have any data on how long it will take a male to grow from four inches to five inches?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My breeder male who passed away recently never went above 4 and 1/2 inches, yet he mated successfully.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Blastoise said:
Right, I've read other threads about the difficulties of breeding Russians in captivity. I will be adding another female to the group later this year, and building a larger permanent outdoor pen next spring. I just think my torts are a little too young to reproduce right now. Anyone have any data on how long it will take a male to grow from four inches to five inches?
Every tortoise grows at a different rate... it's impossible to say... even roughly

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
dmmj said:
My breeder male who passed away recently never went above 4 and 1/2 inches, yet he mated successfully.

I am sorry for your loss Dmmj. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.