How long should I separate my sulcata to avoid breeding/lay eggs

kazjimmy

Location (City and/or State)
baldwin park
I have been separated my male and female sulcata for 2 years. 600 days. But this year she still lay eggs on early June. Can anyone tell me how long should I separated them to stop egg laying? Thank you.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've heard that female turtles can continue to lay fertilized for five or more years after separation from male turtles.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some females will lay eggs even if no male is present. While at least one species can retain viable sperm for five years, the leopards, sulcatas can not. With in a few months, fertility drops to zero for sulcatas if they don't get bred again.

How close are the enclosures? Those pheromones can certainly be carried by the wind... I had to move my male to the other side of my 5 acre ranch to get him to settle down. If he could smell the females, then the females could smell him.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Some females will lay eggs even if no male is present. While at least one species can retain viable sperm for five years, the leopards, sulcatas can not. With in a few months, fertility drops to zero for sulcatas if they don't get bred again.

How close are the enclosures? Those pheromones can certainly be carried by the wind... I had to move my male to the other side of my 5 acre ranch to get him to settle down. If he could smell the females, then the females could smell him.

omg! by wind! I guess that’s why. Here is my enclosure. I think that’s why she still lay fertilized egg. IMG_1696.jpgIMG_1695.jpg

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Hi Tom

My question is that, with the pheromone still going on. The female will still lay eggs forever?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom

My question is that, with the pheromone still going on. The female will still lay eggs forever?
No one can answer that. She might lay every year, or she might never lay again. No way to know.

In your area, eggs laid in the ground should hatch at the end of summer if they were fertile.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
No one can answer that. She might lay every year, or she might never lay again. No way to know.

In your area, eggs laid in the ground should hatch at the end of summer if they were fertile.

Yes. They could be hatch out from ground as well as the pardalis pardalis leopard tortoise.