How long do leopards' enclosures need to be kept humid?

leopardforlyfe

Location (City and/or State)
Missoula, MT
Hi everyone! I am the proud owner of a 8 month old Leopard named Lupe. She is so fun and growing fast! I was wondering at what age or size is humidity not as necessary in a leopard's enclosure? I know the humidity is meant to replicate their burrow when they are hatchling and I was wondering when they should begin to transition to a more (though maybe not completely) dry environment? Thanks! And appreciate any and all thoughts! 20200429_162445.jpg

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I’m sure some of the experts here will reply, but I was always told the first two years are the most important in maintaining humidity at 80%+.

My tortoise is just over 2 yrs now and in an outdoor enclosure 90% of the time. I live in South FL, but know that the outside humidity varies and not above 80% most times.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If the tortoise is growing, it needs some humidity. There is no time limit on this. I would maintain a large indoor closed chamber as the primary residence for as long as possible. I like to use a 4x8 foot closed chamber enclosure indoors, and once they outgrow that, you should be "out of the woods".

I find that the damage caused by having them outside all day when they are larger and in a dry climate can be mitigated by having a humid retreat for their shelter and overnight sleeping quarters. I keep tubs of water in my night boxes and this added humidity helps to keep them growing smoothly and also helps to keep them hydrated. This would work for you in the warmer months of each year.

My general rule of thumb is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. This allows them to slowly acclimate to more and more time outside without drying them out too much when they are small.

Leopard tortoise babies don't burrow or use burrows, but they will dig in to the dirt, or find little humid micro climates at the bases of plants to hang out in.

Your tortoise looks fantastic! Someone has done an excellent job of raising that tortoise. :)