How Long Do Antibiotics Take To Work?

Viggo Mortortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Goodyear
I guess I am just looking for some reassurance... ? I took in a very small baby red eared slider who I ended up taking to the vet because he was sleeping all day and having trouble swimming down (it is like he has bubble butt, he can't submerge, just keeps popping up to the top).

The vet said it's very difficult to diagnose them when their so little (he is only 6 grams), but she suspected he had some kind of infection. She gave me antibiotics to give him every three days. He has had four shots and has one more shot to go. I'm worried because I haven't really seen much improvement. He sleeps in the water at night now, which he didn't do before, but he still spends all day sleeping on his basking log and still can't submerge. But, he hasn't gotten any worse and he is still eating. The vet told me after his last injection to give her a follow-up call and let her know how he is doing (or of course call her immediately if he gets worse).

I have given antibiotics before to small mammals, and they always seem to have a pretty quick improvement. I have other reptiles but have never had to give them medication. Is it normal for him to still be acting like he's sick? Do antibiotics just take a long time for reptiles?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Since your vet gave the antibiotics on a guess....
We're going to have to wait a few days to see if she was correct.
It doesn't sound like a good medical practice to me. But I'm not familiar with buoyancy problems in turtles.
Fingers crossed.
If it was a bacterial issue. First the bacteria will die. Then the animal will require some time to regain his strength.
A lot of antibiotics kill most of the gut flora. Making digestion impossible.
All of this takes time.
We need someone with water turtle experience here.
@Markw84 maybe.

Last edited: