How is my redfoot looking? Also, help with sexing?

Samvega

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hey everyone,

Meet Luna! I always assumed Luna was female, but I'm beginning to wonder if she is actually male. Here is some info on her: nearly 4 years old, about one pound, shell length is 5-6 inches.

Does her shell have some pyramiding? Not sure.

I've been considering adopting another redfoot, but I never want to breed them, so I would like to get another of whatever sex I already have.

Bonus picture of Luna inspecting my cat Louie.

Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_20160523_103342671_HDR.jpg IMG_20160523_103252990_HDR.jpg IMG_20160523_103308842_HDR.jpg IMG_20160523_103315089_HDR.jpg IMG_20160520_095851569.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your questions, sorry.
She looks female and there is some mild pyramidding. It's easy to stop with enough humidity.
Redfoot often, but not always do well in groups of more than three and in my opinion, with adults, the number for harmony is one male with a harem of at least two if not more than 3 females. (I have a male and three females.) My pen is about 400 square feet and 100% outdoors.
But don't even think about adding more tortoises unless you have a TON of room.
Also, when you are ready, try to ad tortoises that are of a similar size and don't forget to quarantine any new arrivals.

Samvega

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Your questions, sorry.
She looks female and there is some mild pyramidding. It's easy to stop with enough humidity.
Redfoot often, but not always do well in groups of more than three and in my opinion, with adults, the number for harmony is one male with a harem of at least two if not more than 3 females. (I have a male and three females.) My pen is about 400 square feet and 100% outdoors.
But don't even think about adding more tortoises unless you have a TON of room.
Also, when you are ready, try to ad tortoises that are of a similar size and don't forget to quarantine any new arrivals.

Thank you for the great advice. You're right, the humidity in her enclosure hasn't been as high as it should be. I will look into fixing that.

I've started planning her outdoor enclosure for when she gets much larger. I think I will wait until that is completed and then decide if I have enough room to add some more tortoises.