How is important is Mazuri

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I have an E. Hermanns hatchling. It is about 10-11 weeks old. I originally purchased Mazuri LS knowing that most people say their tortoises don’t like it. I figured if I kept offering it, Opal would eventually accept it as it seems that most people have to work at introducing variation into their tortoise’s diet anyways. We’ve had Opal for 5.5 weeks. I feed the Mazuri LS twice weekly, softened and mixed with minced greens and flowers. Initially she’d completely ignore it but now I know she is eating some of it though she tries hard to pick out the stuff she likes. The rest of her diet is a mix of dandelion, common mallow, raspberry leaf, strawberry leaf, carrot top, nasturtium leaf and flower, occasional hollyhock leaf and flower. I give a good pinch of herbal hay a couple of times a week (which she seems to ignore), a pinch of calcium w/ D3 twice weekly and a pinch of herptivite vitamin powder once weekly. Is the Mazuri important enough that I should try the regular stuff or is it ok to keep trying the LS?
She was 17 grams 3 days after we got her and now she is 30g.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's nice to have a staple diet on hand that a reptile will accept as a safe dietary supplement, or if there is some kind of displacement emergency, seasonal food shortage, personal illness/disability, or other situation that might necessitate feeding from a box.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It does help to round out what might be missing from the diet.
I would waste the money buying the other kind. Keep feeding what you have and if she doesn't ever really get into it then buy the other when you run out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with everyone else's opinions on this question. Mazuri is certainly not "necessary". They can survive just fine without it, but it is handy and beneficial for certain things.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Can I add to this question? I was told that the original formulation is better for young tortoises. Specifically that it was best to start them on the original version and switch to LS when they got over a year or so old. Is this a commonly held belief? I thought that the LS version was the better food for grassland tortoises and they kept making the original formula for people who just could not get their animals to switch over.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I add to this question? I was told that the original formulation is better for young tortoises. Specifically that it was best to start them on the original version and switch to LS when they got over a year or so old. Is this a commonly held belief? I thought that the LS version was the better food for grassland tortoises and they kept making the original formula for people who just could not get their animals to switch over.
The LS version was invented due to focus groups. Groups of pet owners, NOT nutrition experts, who didn't like the ingredients list of the original formula. I still feed the original to my tortoises, and have done so for many years now. I still think its good stuff for most situations.

Here is one situation I don't think it is good for: Giants. I've been made aware of evidence that original Mazuri can cause problems for galaps and aldabras. Ironic since 5M21 was literally created to feed Galapagos tortoises in zoos. Some of the issues seen in the two island giant species have been attributed to excess original Mazuri in the diet. I don't know if this has been 100% proven beyond any doubt, but I've seen and heard enough to dissuade me from wanting to recommend feeding it to the two giant species. LS for giants, but either should be fine for all other species.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
The suggestion to feed the original version was made in regards to young Radiateds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The suggestion to feed the original version was made in regards to young Radiateds.
I feed it to my adult radiateds and the results seem great. They feel heavier for their size than any of my other torts. I have not fed it to baby radiated torts, but everyone that I know of that has them has, and all agree that its a good supplemental food. When I eventually hatch babies, I will feed it to them. I do feed 5M21 to hatchling sulcatas, SA leopards, and playtnota. And I feed any leftover Mazuri mush to my roach colonies. All good there too!

Dandelion_@_

New Hampshire
I feed it to my adult radiateds and the results seem great. They feel heavier for their size than any of my other torts. I have not fed it to baby radiated torts, but everyone that I know of that has them has, and all agree that its a good supplemental food. When I eventually hatch babies, I will feed it to them. I do feed 5M21 to hatchling sulcatas, SA leopards, and playtnota. And I feed any leftover Mazuri mush to my roach colonies. All good there too!
I came across this thread today and would like to ask you if you still hold the same opinion? Also: roach colonies?