How hot is too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyBoy

5 Year Member
Some hot weather is coming to the east coast and I'm wondering if we should bring our tort indoors. What temp is too hot for them? I know they're from the desert, but I don't want too cook her! She does have a hide.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Where are you located? Does your tort have lots of shade? Russians come from extremely hot and dry environments so he should be ok.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking spots are any where's from 95-110. As long as they have shade, not just a hide, that sits in the sun and bakes and has little or no air flow, but airy shade also, they should be fine. In Chicago tomorrow we will have 100 degrees, heat index 110, mine, a leopard will be outside.however he has a hide and lots of shade too.

Also have water available.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
It was in the 100( if not hotter) today, and I had my Russian out. Made sure he had shade, water, and even sprayed his area down twice with hose water; just to be on the safe side. But he was fine, and it now sleeping.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
This is worrying me this year too...very hot I live in northern AZ....instead of her hide spot, which is under trees in her enclosure, she is digging up under her little pool area....it's a plastic paint liner
19492.jpg

she digs pretty deep under it and she isn't being very active...she is eating well...it's been 100 here in the shade....and in the sun it's just broiling...most of her enclosure is shaded, and I have started growing some grass in it...I just worry about her

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
LadyV said:
This is worrying me this year too...very hot I live in northern AZ....instead of her hide spot, which is under trees in her enclosure, she is digging up under her little pool area....it's a plastic paint liner
19492.jpg

she digs pretty deep under it and she isn't being very active...she is eating well...it's been 100 here in the shade....and in the sun it's just broiling...most of her enclosure is shaded, and I have started growing some grass in it...I just worry about her

My Russian digs under his pool too, don't know why, maybe it cool? And stay there most of the day, and then around sun down he come out and plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.